Anyone run into Maverick Digital Probe problems?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

centexcarnivore

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Austin, TX
I am doing some country style pork ribs today and within one hour my probe showed 155 degrees in the thickest part of the meat. I checked with my fast read and it was reading 130. Has anyone had a Maverick read this far off? Any suggestions what it could be? I may go the website and order another meat probe.

On the probe, is the sensor in the very tip? This meat is not thick so a lot of the probe is exposed.

Thanks, B.

I have never had a problem with mine, yet... but I guess it could happen. with ribs I use it for a reference temp but I always look for the pull back off the bone for doneness. I think they're to thin to get a good reading

mine has read wrong when the batteries get weak,
try changing the batteries and see if it makes a difference
thermistor is in the tip of the probe

Hmmm.... Anyone have any idea as to how many hours a set of batteries would typically last in an ET-73? Thanks :>)

Are you sure it's the Maverick. Did you test them? I just bring a pot of water to boil. My two Maverick probes give me 211 degrees & 212 degrees. That' about as good as I can ask for.

Battery life?
LOL----I've had my Maverick running continuously for at least 5 weeks. Still working. I'm going to soon put new batteries in & give it a rest until my next smoke.

Also I would suspect it's pretty much the very tip that does the reading, or they would read hotter, because if you have the tip in the middle, the rest would be in a hotter spot closer to the outside, unless you had it in too far (ouch !).

BC

Uncle Lar - I will try this. I have not changed them in a year! Doh!

I posted the qview over on the Pork discussion board is anyone wants to see.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Happy bbq! -B

BC - I have never tested them but sure will after I change the freakin batteries. It is always the simplest of solutions. -B

I've had a problem with the base and remote losing contact. When I called the company they said that the batteries that come with it are not very good and to replace them and see if that didn't correct the problem. I have not changed the batteries yet... been using another thermometer.

Scott

I now own a maverick and it seems to be doing just fine. But I alway have a back up to test all my probes.

I remove the batteries each time I finish with them and put the batteries in the refridgerator and they are good for next time. I also get new ones each 6 months, time day(DST) or something you can remember.
They seem to always be in good order.
Just my .02 worth.

I've had a couple of probes go bad. Usually this will happen if the probe hits something over 300*. If you contact Maverick customer service they may just send you out a couple of new ones for free.

I suspect the reading comes off the tip, but that tip has several inches of metal behind it. So if it's just barely into the meat I would think that the heat could travel down the metal to the tip. Only makes sense.

Thanks Dude. I am almost sure it is bad batteries. How are things up your way? I grew up in Muscatine and moved to Austin, TX in '82.

-B

Storing batteries in the fridge is a good suggestion. I will remember that one! Thanks for the quick reply and happy bbqing. -B

Make sure you only hold the probe in the boiling water----not the wire. Also don't let it touch the side of the pot.

BC

I've never had an accurate reading while using the meat probe. I sometimes suspect it is reading the highest temp on the entire length of probe.

Racey, Thanks for the input. I am going to calibrate mine to make sure it is accurate. Also I stopped over to your blog and you have some good info there. Thanks, B.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky