anyone fry a turkey around here??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I fry turkeys every Thanksgiving...and the night before I rub the skin and the insides with Tony's seasoning.  Make sure it's dry and has no water in the insides before you put it into the oil.  Will make the hot oil....boil over.  Hurts and not fun either!

Kat

I have deep fried more than a few turkeys.  I always follow deep fryer instructions, never on a wooden deck and a foil assembly under to catch any oil that may spill.

As for injections and such, I have always used something I have purchased, either from TSC stores or Bass Pro Outlet stores.

All I can say, enjoy the best turkey you will ever eat, make sure you know the weight of the bird so you can get the correct work time.  I once cooked a bird fro some people who told me it was a 18 LB turkey.  I figured out my time, set my timer and started and finished the cooking.  When we carved the bird, it was dust inside, Searched through garbage for tag, it was an 11.8 LB bird.  In 20/20 hindsight, know your Bird.

Well a little update.  I used a basic rub I got off the internet, and a butter/beer injection my MIL gave me.  the fryer worked great, but I think I am going to get a better thermometer. 

I think I need to play around with the rub and injection.  Everyone loved it, but I was not really happy with it.  it was good, just not great.  at least to my taste buds.  

I fry a few turkeys a year. I use melted real butter then what ever I feel like at the time It could be garlic, onion, pepper. Old Bay.

For rub I Like Old Bay as well as others.

I have both a electric and a propane fryer. On the propane I AL WAY turn out the fire when I put the turkey in. Then I re lite it

Watch your time and temp. They will turn out great every time.

Happy smoken.

David

Ditto on the Safety thingy . . .
th_violent5.gif

I have fried quite a few myself.  Some will bubble up on you and I don't care how careful you are.  Then you have flames!

Like themule69 said, cut your flame before putting the turkey in, then restart it once the oil has settled down a little.

My biggest problem with frying turkey is the wind.  I use a propane setup and it takes a good bit of attention to keep the oil in the right temp zone.

Pay attention to that, keep safe, and you will have one delicious bird at the end.

I brine my turkeys, even if I'm frying them.

I used to fry several each year, they were the best until I was exposed to garbage can turkeys. I'll have to start a thread on them today as I'll be cooking one this aftenoon.
Anyway, as far as tips and tricks, here's what I learned:
Stay away from high sugar rubs for presentation purposes. They taste great, but get way too dark, and you will get sick of saying, "No, I didn't burn the turkey!"
Marinade the snot out of it, but stay away from Italian dressing. The garlic will plug up your injector.
Don't be afraid to get the temp up on your oil, a good quality oil will handle 400+ without smoking, and the temp will drop quick when you submerge the bird.
No matter how dry you think you got your turkey, it isnt dry enough. I use 2 people, and we repeatedly dunk the turkey in 2-3 inch incriments, until it is fully submerged.
Other than that, it's been pretty straight forward.

I used to fry several each year, they were the best until I was exposed to garbage can turkeys. I'll have to start a thread on them today as I'll be cooking one this aftenoon.
Anyway, as far as tips and tricks, here's what I learned:
Stay away from high sugar rubs for presentation purposes. They taste great, but get way too dark, and you will get sick of saying, "No, I didn't burn the turkey!"
Marinade the snot out of it, but stay away from Italian dressing. The garlic will plug up your injector.
Don't be afraid to get the temp up on your oil, a good quality oil will handle 400+ without smoking, and the temp will drop quick when you submerge the bird.
No matter how dry you think you got your turkey, it isnt dry enough. I use 2 people, and we repeatedly dunk the turkey in 2-3 inch incriments, until it is fully submerged.
Other than that, it's been pretty straight forward.
I gotta hear about this garbage can turkey.

I have fried quite a few myself.  Some will bubble up on you and I don't care how careful you are.  Then you have flames!

Like themule69 said, cut your flame before putting the turkey in, then restart it once the oil has settled down a little.

My biggest problem with frying turkey is the wind.  I use a propane setup and it takes a good bit of attention to keep the oil in the right temp zone.

Pay attention to that, keep safe, and you will have one delicious bird at the end.

I brine my turkeys, even if I'm frying them.
They make a temp control er for the propane. Just drop the probe in the oil. set your temp and it will regulate the propane for you. They work great.

David

The last time I fried a turkey here in Texas was past Christmas 2012 it was around 5 degrees outside with snow (seriously) it was so cold outside (was colder than 5 with the 25 mph winds) that my propane turkey fryer would only get up to around 275 degrees I normally do. Turkey at 325 or so. Instead of 3.5 mins per pound it took around 5 mins or so per pound but the key was with the lower temp it looked line it came out if the oven (not a single black spot in it) it tasted just as good just took longer to cook. Something to think about if you are going to serve it in a competition or for family that have never had fried turkey (I know, it's sad how many people there are in the world who have not experienced the finer things in life) good luck!

The last time I fried a turkey here in Texas was past Christmas 2012 it was around 5 degrees outside with snow (seriously) it was so cold outside (was colder than 5 with the 25 mph winds) that my propane turkey fryer would only get up to around 275 degrees I normally do. Turkey at 325 or so. Instead of 3.5 mins per pound it took around 5 mins or so per pound but the key was with the lower temp it looked line it came out if the oven (not a single black spot in it) it tasted just as good just took longer to cook. Something to think about if you are going to serve it in a competition or for family that have never had fried turkey (I know, it's sad how many people there are in the world who have not experienced the finer things in life) good luck!
I always end up with 20+ pounders and have learned that @ 325  and 5minutes per pound they come out golden and juicy. That rule that you need 15lbs or smaller....hogwash.

Truckerbob;

I was turned on to the garbage can method on a job site by a bunch of fellow electricians.  Good stuff and much easier to make while out hunting/camping, no need to haul out the oil and stuff, just a little foil, charcoal, and a trash can. I'm looking forward to see your post and how they do it on that side of the country.

Yes sir sound1! The bigger the better!!! Hey trucker bob the metal trash cans work great for turkey! And if you ever need more heat you can take a propane hand held torch and hit that can a bit to bump up the heat!!! Lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky