Anybody dry curing meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
As i stated in the title of this thread i would really like to get some more input on dry curing meat and sausage. I have been smoking meat for a good while now. As well as making lot of different kinds of sausage. Now i want to get more in to the dry curing aspect of charcuterie. I have a mini fridge that i want to use as a curing chamber it has a small freezer unit in it i want to know if this will effect the curing in anyway? keep in mind that the mini fridge will have a temp control unit to keep it at 56/60 degrees or so. and i will be using salt water method for humidity. for now till i can get so more funds for a better setup. So if anybody has any feedback or comments that would really help me out. Thanks

It is one of my interests.

Several of us have curing chambers in progress.

I think Nepas has a working unit.

Have a great day!

Craig

Last edited:
I really want to see if this mini fridge will work for dry curing mostly am worried about the small freezer unit that the mini fridge has inside it. i want to know if the temp control unit will stop if from freezing which would really be cool cause i will have a lot more space for meat!!

I haven't tried it yet.  An expensive toy.  Precise temp and humidity controls are required.  Several here have posted their builds.

Good luck and good smoking.

I think solaryellow has one........

Mine is still a work in progress unfortunately. Between this project, the smoker project, everything going on at work, and starting to prep for our first vending gig I haven't done much.

Bratrules, is it possible to remove the separator between the fridge and freezer to give you a little more space to work with? Or is it  one of those where the freezer is a self contained unit?

Mine is still a work in progress unfortunately. Between this project, the smoker project, everything going on at work, and starting to prep for our first vending gig I haven't done much.

Bratrules, is it possible to remove the separator between the fridge and freezer to give you a little more space to work with? Or is it  one of those where the freezer is a self contained unit?

001b5ec0_Photo0722.jpg

There is a pic of the ugly freezer unit. i dont know if i can remove it or after i add the temp control unit will it matter since i wont be cold enough to frost up like that?

yeah i figured that i might just leave i was thinking of running the probe from the temp control directly to the freezer so i wont let it freeze i wonder if that will work. but i guess am going to give it a shot!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky