Any tips for easiest way to use regular (non-high temp) cheese in sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
As the title suggests, I'm looking to see if anyone here has any tips on the easiest way to process regular cheese, as in not the high temp cheese, for use in sausage.

I don't really like the flavor or the texture of the high temp cheese, and it's also just so expensive it's laughable in my opinion. The one and only thing i like about it is that it comes diced to the perfect size little cubes, and dicing cheese by hand to that size is a huge pain in the you know what.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has a process they use that works well for them to get it to the right size little chunks when using regular cheese.

I was watching this video and this guy uses a commercial processor called a Robo Coupe R2, but it's extremely expensive.

I'm wondering if something like this Cuisinart would work, it's much more affordable, but this is really the main thing I would use it for so I wouldn't want to waste the money if it's not going to work for this use.

I made my first sausages a few months ago and I used regular cheddar cheese and Jalapenos in it. I froze them in 1/4" squares and only mixed them in just before stuffing them. I diced it by hand. It is a PITA but get over it and go to work. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you look at this meal made a bit later you can clearly see the cheese survived the process.

2023_sausages_013.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
I'm as deplorable gadget guy. But, for dicing cheese. I just do it by hand. What I do is get the pre-sliced cheese that I want. Then cut the stack of sliced cheese into squares. Much easier doing it this way.

KJ, I also cut by hand and try to keep it uniform. I usually use provolone for a provolone/garlic sausage. I try for a 1/4 inch square cube and even that melts out if I get my cooking temps too high. I do agree with you about the high cost of HT cheese. :(

Agree high temp cheese sucks. Haven't done it YET but plan too. Use American cheese and grind with medium plate. The cheese does melt but no fat out since processed. It will solidify again once cool.

I LOVE my slam chopper and have that exact one. I have not used cheese in it but would imagine you need some kind of dust to keep it from sticking together. I would probably try NFDM first.

Reactions: DanMcG and nlife
I LOVE my slam chopper and have that exact one. I have not used cheese in it but would imagine you need some kind of dust to keep it from sticking together. I would probably try NFDM first.
I use a little corn starch to prevent clumping/sticking together when I do this.

Reactions: zwiller
I use this . Works good . It has two size cutting plates . Just use a slice that matches the cutter . So 1/4" slice for the 1/4" cutter . Gives a square piece of cheese . I've never had trouble with sticking .
20201229_124210.jpg
20201229_124520.jpg

Sharp cheddar is dry enough extra sharp is better. High temp cheese is just basically low moisture cheese. Aged Gouda works too. I use Tillamook farm style big shreds. Works very well as is.

IMG_1002.jpeg

Reactions: DougE
What brand is that.

Looks like you can still buy it , but mines at least 25 years old . Maybe more .
Like anything you have to let it do the work . If I have a brick of cheese , I cut it in 2 pieces ,
Then stand them on edge and take the bigger slice to match the size of the cutter . It won't cut through a whole block of cheese . I only use mine for cheese .

I use this . Works good . It has two size cutting plates . Just use a slice that matches the cutter . So 1/4" slice for the 1/4" cutter . Gives a square piece of cheese . I've never had trouble with sticking .
View attachment 672637
View attachment 672638
Now that I think about it, I think I actually have something just like this stuffed away in a cupboard somewhere. I'll need to look for that and give it a try. I just don't have the patients to sit there and dice the cheese by hand (unless I'm making a really small batch).

I think I actually have something just like this stuffed away in a cupboard somewhere
That's where this was . Been on the way to the trash more than once . Something the wife bought years ago . Glad I saved it . I only use it to cube cheese . Knife skills are good enough for other stuff .

Like Eric said, Tillamook! I just did a run of jalapeno cheddar and cheaped out on the store brand sharp cheddar. Same thick cut as the Tillamook Farm style and had cheese rendering out in some of the sausages ...... mind you, the IT of the sausages never exceeded 151° through the smoking and poaching.

1691272328403.png

1691272194456.png

All the cheese rendered out against the casing in some of them. I thought it was fat out at first, but there are still well defined fat particles within the meat. High temp cheese is not necessary, but high quality dry cheese is. Don't cheap out on the cheese!
1691272420399.png

Reactions: SmokinEdge
There was a thread awhile back that gave tips on drying out cheese to make it more as high temp.

Tillamook?
My wife is a big fan of Tillamook as they start with unpasteurized milk. Cannot get it through her head that milk needs to be heated (pasteurized) to kill the natural microbes before the renet is added to create cheese. I gave up as I like the flavors of Tillamook.
My thought is shreds dry out more than block. Tillamook uses potato starch to keep from clumping. I thing the starch dries the shreds.
I get high temp cheese for about the same price as regular cheese. I don't like the near plastic or American cheese texture of high temp cheese. Next batch of my loaded breakfast brats will use Tilamook shreds

Reactions: DougE
There was a thread awhile back that gave tips on drying out cheese to make it more as high temp.

Tillamook?
My wife is a big fan of Tillamook as they start with unpasteurized milk. Cannot get it through her head that milk needs to be heated (pasteurized) to kill the natural microbes before the renet is added to create cheese. I gave up as I like the flavors of Tillamook.
My thought is shreds dry out more than block. Tillamook uses potato starch to keep from clumping. I thing the starch dries the shreds.
I get high temp cheese for about the same price as regular cheese. I don't like the near plastic or American cheese texture of high temp cheese. Next batch of my loaded breakfast brats will use Tilamook shreds
I've made a lot of smoked sausage using Tillamook and have been pleased with the results. Store brand, not so much!

So I found that contraption in my cupboard that is similar to what chopsaw posted. Went and bought a 2lb block of Tillamook extra Sharp Cheddar and tried it. It worked perfectly. Only thing that sucks is the area of the blade is a little smaller than the size of the block of cheese so it adds a step, where you have to cut about 1/4" off the hight and 1/4" off the width of each slice you cut and put through it, but still not too bad, and way better than dicing by hand.

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky