Any reason why not.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NamVetJoe

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Naples Fl
I have seen this method work with a cast iron frying pan. The only issue is you can only do one porterhouse at a time. Any reason this should not work with multiple
IMG_1818.JPG
steaks

Stability maybe? Get yourself a Vortex for that Kettle and you won't look back.

Chris

That doesn't appear to be cast iron.The idea with CI is that it is a heat sink,thus it will sear and continue to cook without losing it's searing mojo as aluminum will.
A simple good,raging pile of coals the size/shape of your pan/griddle will suffice.

I never understood that. You've got a good grill/pit and you want to cook in a pan so you'll have grill marks? I have a cast iron grill/skillet. I use it when I have something planed to grill on the pit and it for some reason can't be achieved as planned. Then I fall back on the grill/skillet.

But don't let me bother you, there is a load of stuff I just don't understand and its seems the list grows daily anymore. LOL

Thanks, guys @motorcrash you are correct sir after further examination it is not CI my bad. foamheart foamheart the idea was not for the grill marks, it was to achieve a high temp on a large surface

I tried a new technique last night with my CI pan.Put pan in oven and pre-heat as high as it will go,sans Broil/Clean.When oven tells you it's preheated,remove pan and place on a burner set Med/High.Add a little oil to the screaming pan,then add burgers.PSSSS! It worked well,put a real nice sear/char/crust with a nice bite/tooth to it on the exterior.

I cooked some new burger blend available,it was on sale 2/$10,normally $8#.It was very tasty and will try more of their blends,on sale anyway.
Sirloin_Grind_Look1.jpg

Check their stuff out,they have plenty of products and blends to choose from.

https://mightysparkfood.com/

Kind of reminds me of the stories I used to hear forty years ago about a device airlines used for hiring new pilots. They'd sit a potential new hire in front of a panel of pilots, then the panel would throw rapid fire questions at the candidate to measure his/her self-control under pressure. The candidate was seated on a chair with a single gimbaled support. If the candidate moved at all, onto the floor he/she went.

I could see the same thing happening with more than one steak on that setup.

The Vortex, charcoal baskets, or a large coffee can with the ends cut out under the grill, would achieve a more "balanced" result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky