Another Grilled Prime Chuck Roast by RS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
HEB Prime chuck roast - room temperature with a dusting of Montreal Steak seasoning (have to limit the salt):
IMG_1794.JPG

Oak and mesquite coals ready:
IMG_1795.JPG

Side A after 5-minutes:
IMG_1796.JPG

Side B after 5 more minutes:
IMG_1797.JPG

Wrapped in foil for 1-hour:
IMG_1799.jpg

Sliced - DEEElicious fire grilled flavor, perfectly rare, tender and juicy, awesome chuck flavor!!!:
IMG_1801.JPG

OK back to being bored hiding from the heat here in the ninth circle of hell...

Never would have thought to do a chuck that way. What kinda internal temp do you hit, or did you even check? Either way that looks ridiculously good. Strong work!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Never would have thought to do a chuck that way. What kinda internal temp do you hit, or did you even check? Either way that looks ridiculously good. Strong work!
Thanks mr_whipple mr_whipple !

I've been cooking them this way for so long that I never check the temperature - I just eat them! :emoji_sunglasses: I highly recommend the method - everyone I have ever given a taste to was very pleasantly surprised. The learning curve will be the fire - you want to sear the chuck, not burn it (you can see the little tail on one side of this one did get a little charred), and choice of wood can make a big difference - not too much mesquite for this style of very-hot cooking! Probably better to start with a smaller fire and go 7 to 8 minutes per side until you get your sea legs.

My grandfather taught me this.

Thanks mr_whipple mr_whipple !

I've been cooking them this way for so long that I never check the temperature - I just eat them! :emoji_sunglasses: I highly recommend the method - everyone I have ever given a taste to was very pleasantly surprised. The learning curve will be the fire - you want to sear the chuck, not burn it (you can see the little tail on one side of this one did get a little charred), and choice of wood can make a big difference - not too much mesquite for this style of very-hot cooking! Probably better to start with a smaller fire and go 7 to 8 minutes per side until you get your sea legs.

My grandfather taught me this.
Thank you for the reply. I'll give this a run, but prime chuck isn't seen often here. That, and I was a carrier sailor so my sea legs are subject to debate 🤣🤣

Looks great!
I also like to grill chucks similarly. But I tried to grill a 3" thick arm roast last week and it turned out tough and chewy. Good flavor but was not fun to eat. So I threw it in a pot and braised with broth for another hour or two and it turned out great; very tender and much better flavor than your standard pot roast. I guess that particular roast had a lot of collagen that needed more time to melt.

And another amazingly cooked slab of beef!! Just beautiful. I will say without doubt that you have your grill and grilling techniques dialed in perfectly. Very nice sir.
OK back to being bored hiding from the heat here in the ninth circle of hell...
Ain't that the truth. Got the smoker and one of the grills going right now and it's about 180 degrees on the patio, even with all 3 ceiling fans running. No end in sight either. Summer was slow to get here but it showed up with a vengeance.

Robert

And another amazingly cooked slab of beef!! Just beautiful. I will say without doubt that you have your grill and grilling techniques dialed in perfectly. Very nice sir.

Ain't that the truth. Got the smoker and one of the grills going right now and it's about 180 degrees on the patio, even with all 3 ceiling fans running. No end in sight either. Summer was slow to get here but it showed up with a vengeance.

Robert
Thank you sir!

"Excessive heat warning in effect until Monday 8:00PM..." 😬

Those Comanche were hard core - lived outside, in tents, in Texas, year round...

Reactions: JLeonard
GEEZ how could I forget!!!! My first habanero peppers of the season...

IMG_1793.JPG

However, my ghost peppers are struggling - I bought live seedlings from Pepper Joe's and I think they have verticillium wilt and that depresses me because it means no hot sauce for the year. Ghost peppers make the best tasting and best smelling hot sauces, but I guess I am going to have to live with habanero hot sauce this year.

I had a burger with Ghost Pepper sauce once.
They made me sign a waiver. Haha
It was hot alright, but not near what I was expecting.
They must have put very little in the sauce.
I've had Dave's Insanity Sauce that was hotter.

I had a burger with Ghost Pepper sauce once.
They made me sign a waiver. Haha
It was hot alright, but not near what I was expecting.
They must have put very little in the sauce.
I've had Dave's Insanity Sauce that was hotter.
I buy Melinda's when I run out:
Melindas-Ghost-Pepper-Hot-Sauce.jpg

It's good but not as good as 100% ghost peppers made at home. Melinda's is habanero and ghost peppers and by list of ingredients on the bottle there is more habenero than ghost, but still not bad.

Ghost peppers actually taste and smell very good to my nose and taste buds! I love the stuff. Pure homemade ghost pepper hot sauce is just great!

Reactions: 02ebz06
Have not seen that sauce.
I think I mentioned in another thread that I don't use much hot sauce anymore, but I might have to try that.
Living in New Mexico I can get Hatch Chilies year round, and use them instead of sauce.

Have not seen that sauce.
I think I mentioned in another thread that I don't use much hot sauce anymore, but I might have to try that.
Living in New Mexico I can get Hatch Chilies year round, and use them instead of sauce.
You can buy dried Ghost Peppers on Amazon and make some great hot sauce at home - I get the 100-count and in fact, just ordered more! Make sure you pull the seeds out of the dried because they can get bitter. Of course - wear gloves...

GEEZ how could I forget!!!! My first habanero peppers of the season...

View attachment 668137
However, my ghost peppers are struggling - I bought live seedlings from Pepper Joe's and I think they have verticillium wilt and that depresses me because it means no hot sauce for the year. Ghost peppers make the best tasting and best smelling hot sauces, but I guess I am going to have to live with habanero hot sauce this year.

That is awesome… getting ready to do a greenhouse and we love habs! Definitely on the to do list as well as some ghosts!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky