Another Failed Attempt at Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mad_mackem

Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Hi All,

new to the forum, but my latest cook has encouraged me to seek out some advice.
I have tried smoking pulled pork a few times now and none of my attempts have come out as hoped. Initially i started smoking pork shoulders on my ceramic egg but after some reading and research i decided to invest in an offset stick burner, which i have had good success with, but not with the pulled pork.

Todays cook was on the offset smoker with a water pan inside, i maintained a temperature around 275 degrees and the cook took around 7 hours. I wrapped the meat a little earlier than anticipated at around 150 degrees instead of 160, but the colour was good and i didnt want to dry it out. I took the pork shoulder off the smoker at 200 degrees.

My problem is this, every time i have attempted to cook pulled pork, it does not shred like the soft butter i have seen on several videos online, instead if i shred with 2 forks, some will shred but there are large pieces of the meat which are still firm and will not shred.

I dont know if this is down to my cooking technique or the meat itself.

Each time i have tried, it has been a boneless joint, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

Please any help/advice people could give would be most appreciated.

TIA

I shall pull no pork before it's time.

Are you going solely on Internal Temp or are you probing for tenderness too?
Probe tender is when a pointed probe slides into the meat like a knife into warm butter.
You have to go by Probe Tender, not just IT.
IT is just a guideline by which to start probing for tenderness and it's a big window 195°-210°.
It will not Pull until it is butter tender.

Have you calibrated you meat thermometer to see if it's accurate?

Reactions: ofelles and zwiller
Are you going bone-in or boneless? If boneless try a bone-in and pull it off when the bone wiggles freely and comes out clean. Then make a mental note of what the meat feels like and how it reacts to your touch. The next time try a boneless butt and shoot for that mental image.

Chris

200°F is, typically, not Done unless you have time to wrap in towels and Cooler Rest 2 to 4 hours. Don't worry about drying the meat out. I don't even bother Probing until 205, minimum! At that point, if it's probe tender, ALL OVER, it gets 30 minutes rest, on the counter, tented in foil, and we eat. PERFECT PULLED PORK, every time...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks for your responses all, i guess im pulling it to quick! i have been working on the meat thermometer temps rather than feel. next time il give it some more time and probe it to check the feel first.

Chilirenello, i checked it against a pot of boiling water and it was within a couple of degrees, not sure if there is a better way to test it?

Thanks for your responses all, i guess im pulling it to quick! i have been working on the meat thermometer temps rather than feel. next time il give it some more time and probe it to check the feel first.

Chilirenello, i checked it against a pot of boiling water and it was within a couple of degrees, not sure if there is a better way to test it?
Nope, that's the best way to check, that and a cup of ice water.

Yeppers, Pulled Pork, Brisket and
Chucks are some of the things that go by Probe Tender not IT.
There's just too much variability in them to by temp alone.

You'll do better next time knowing this.

Reactions: tallbm
Can’t agree more. My first couple were like that but quickly learned bone in is the way to go. I also wrap mine with towels in a cooler for a minimum of an hour after removing from the smoker. Doing this I have found it to fall completely apart and requires very minimal actual shredding! Good luck! You will get it, just takes time and patience!

Years ago, I would pull it with forks or just my hands until I found that using a heavy chef's grade meat cleaver works well. I like the texture it gives. Thats all I have used for many years. Just my preference.

My PP is done between 190 and 205. Each one is different - which is no help for you now for sure. I usually put my Boston butt or picnic roast on at 225 the night before in my MES40. I have wrapped it the next day at temps ranging from 155 to 165...then it is off to the races. Depending on the meat, the wrap has been as little as an hour to as much as 4 hours. The "rest" is important as well. It has been as long as 4 hours (due to stupid meetings), but I always shred it easily with 2 dinner forks.

Don't give up. Cheap meat with outstanding results is in your future. Season a day minimum, or two, ahead of the cook...I mean "triple super season" the meat. Find a good finishing sauce too for those cooks that are less than optimal.

Most of my bone-in-butts usually take 6&1/2 to 8 hrs in my PB 820. 3-4hrs at 225*, then pan and rapped in foil. I'll set my alarm for 205 and wait for the beep and then rest for an hour before I pull it by hand to remove as much of the internal fat as I can for the misses. BTW, a bone-in-butt in my neck of the woods is a dollar per pound cheaper than a boneless butt. Sorry but I have no experience with Eggs or MESs cooking.

I pull at 205 and bought a shredder that goes on my drill,works well after using it on 6 butts last week, held 2 and shredded them when cold and while It works it takes longer, 5 minutes to do 4 butts when hot. Perfect for sandwiches imo $17 off of Amazon

Reactions: jcam222
The fastest, whole Butts to Pulled Pork was a Pit Master that pulled the Rack and 2 Butts from the smoker. Pulled the bones, then flipped the Butts in a large roasting pan. He turned the Rack sideways, and Chopped the Butts into shreds. Took all of 15 SECONDS! He added a secret Finishing Sauce and put it out for service...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
I pull at 205 and bought a shredder that goes on my drill,works well after using it on 6 butts last week, held 2 and shredded them when cold and while It works it takes longer, 5 minutes to do 4 butts when hot. Perfect for sandwiches imo $17 off of Amazon
Which shredder did you get? I am thinking about trying one of these. I usually do 6 to 8 butts at a time and this would be a great shortcut.

Thanks for all the advice guys! il have another go in a few weeks (brisket is next weekend) and report back!

I usually use my wife kitchen aid to shred pulled pork. Use the beater attachment and the lowest setting adding a little at a time. Works great just pulsing it in and off until at the consistency you want

You temperature seems to okay. REST, REST, REST. Leave it wrapped and put it in a cooler for at 3-4 hours. The meat will "relax" from the heat and you will get the tenderness you are looking for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky