Another Bacon Dome w/ Loaded Mashed Potato's and Single Cut Dry Rub Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
tx smoker tx smoker
made some gravy for the next day , just to have seconds , ribs were gone
Well, that gives you at least partial redemption....enough to keep you out of the Principal's office :emoji_laughing:
There , now I don't feel so bad, lol
Miss the gravy again and that's likely to change pretty quick :emoji_wink:

Seriously, that bacon dome has me totally enraptured. Got some friends coming over this weekend for a smoked Picanha and I think I'm gonna make this. That should amaze the folks in attendance. They are already under the misguided notion that I do pretty well with the smokers and can put on a decent meal, but this might just be the pinnacle of stuff I've made and served our guests. Thanks again for sharing!!

Robert

Well, that gives you at least partial redemption....enough to keep you out of the Principal's office :emoji_laughing:

Miss the gravy again and that's likely to change pretty quick :emoji_wink:

Seriously, that bacon dome has me totally enraptured. Got some friends coming over this weekend for a smoked Picanha and I think I'm gonna make this. That should amaze the folks in attendance. They are already under the misguided notion that I do pretty well with the smokers and can put on a decent meal, but this might just be the pinnacle of stuff I've made and served our guests. Thanks again for sharing!!

Robert

I think you should give it another go, and it kind of is the center piece when first set on the table.

Let us know how they all loved it .

David

Wow David… that is just one top notch meal there as per usual! Very nicely done and congrats on a well deserved ride!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment

The carousal is always an honour, and never expected.

The dome and the ribs made for a great meal and smiles all around.

David

This I like! I've made many fatties and found that whatever bacon touches other than a hot skillet, that side is more leathery than crisp. I've par grilled the bacon weave and tried everything but leathery and a putty type sausage fattie interior wasn't for me. Yours Is a weave I'll try because everything is par cooked inside and will make for an egg bake with the veggies. Just the two binder eggs is enough but a sphere has me intrigued on not over cooking inside. Browned eggs in an eggbake have such a stronger flavor I can't handle than like french eggs/omelet. This looks like it would be great with biscuits and gravy or poutine. Great idea!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
This I like! I've made many fatties and found that whatever bacon touches other than a hot skillet, that side is more leathery than crisp. I've par grilled the bacon weave and tried everything but leathery and a putty type sausage fattie interior wasn't for me. Yours Is a weave I'll try because everything is par cooked inside and will make for an egg bake with the veggies. Just the two binder eggs is enough but a sphere has me intrigued on not over cooking inside. Browned eggs in an eggbake have such a stronger flavor I can't handle than like french eggs/omelet. This looks like it would be great with biscuits and gravy or poutine. Great idea!

Thanks dr k for the like and the comment.

It was a good meal and always a nice site when sitting on the table at meal time.

Yes the bacon is always cook well for me and in this way here the bottom is actually cook on the top during the first part of the cook/smoke.
Before the flip and baked again once remove from the round cake pan, that cooks up the rest of the bacon weave shell. The flavour from the bacon in the first part of the cook soaks in a little to the potato mix , but it is still firm enough to stay up when cut.

I love doing this type of potatoes, and the first one I showed here couple years ago was the scalloped potatoes , it was crisp bacon also

David

1688299053493.png

1688299178032.png

Reactions: gmc2003
Another Bacon Dome w/ Loaded Mashed Potato's and Single Cut Dry Rub Ribs

I normally like to do a glaze but this time I wanted dry ribs, just the juice and grease running down my chin this time, lol

Cut the ribs into singles , coated with Jeff's Original Rub, into the fridge for an hour or two while I got the potatoes boiling.

View attachment 668625View attachment 668626
View attachment 668627
Potatoes boiling, onions and celery sautéing, red and green peppers diced, and cheddar grated
( I also added 2 eggs to help bind all )

Put the ribs in the smoker at 275deg. with cherry and mesquite chips and chunks

Once the potatoes cooled , ( i left them a little chunky for more texture for finished product. ) I added all the items together in a bowl.
Made my bacon weave and into my flipper baking bowl

View attachment 668628 View attachment 668629
View attachment 668631
View attachment 668632 View attachment 668633

Stuff and the potato mix into the bowl on top of the bacon, push in solid, wrap the bacon tails on top than I added a flattened pie plate and a Foil wrapped weight so the bacon would not curl out of the pan. Into the oven at 350 deg. ( I know I did not smoke this one , sorry )

View attachment 668634 View attachment 668635

Check on the ribs, doing good about 1 hour to go , around same time for the bacon Dome, lol

View attachment 668636

Pulled the potatoes and flipped the bowl onto my pie plate onto another pan and back in for about 15 minutes to crisp up the bacon

View attachment 668638 View attachment 668639
View attachment 668642

Ribs are ready to come in to rest while I set the table and get my plate filled up

I let the Bacon Dome ( potatoes ) rest for about 15 minutes, I am always nervous about the first cut , worried it will just spill out like soup one of these times ,lol

So here they are both resting , but my mouth is watering for a rib......

View attachment 668643
View attachment 668645
View attachment 668646

Drum roll... ... .. the CUT, .nice it stayed intact

View attachment 668648

My plate with a little kale salad with poppy seed dressing.

View attachment 668649

Well folks, this is the end.

Great ribs, I like the dry ribs, but also like my different glazed ribs , and the bacon dome loaded mashed potatoes , always a good looking display at the table
and the flavours were right on .

But I got a greasy thumbs up from across the table, so that is what I like to see

Thanks for looking and reading

David
Old thread but, God BLANK that looks good! :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma

David. I been doing the cut ribs with the Vortex which I love but thinking of trying to smoke them. Looks like you went 275? About how long you figure. Did you wrap? Thanks bud.

Hi Brian , if I remember right it was about 2 1/2 hours give or take, no wrap.
But depends on how much meat on the single bones. I wanted them to be dry rub ribs thats why no wrap on them.
I thought you put a bit of wood on your kettle for some smoke on yours before.

David

Last edited:
BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma

David. I been doing the cut ribs with the Vortex which I love but thinking of trying to smoke them. Looks like you went 275? About how long you figure. Did you wrap? Thanks bud.

Hi Brian , if I remember right it was about 2 1/2 hours give or take, no wrap.
But depends on how much meat on the single bones. I wanted them to be dry rub ribs thats why no wrap on them.
I thought you put a bit of wood on your kettle for some smoke on yours before.

David
Thanks David. They do pick up a little smoke with the high heat method but not like smoked ribs. I do love how they get those crispy pieces. This is the only method I use sauce as the high heat really sets it and makes it so good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky