Another Bacon Dome w/ Loaded Mashed Potato's and Single Cut Dry Rub Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Another Bacon Dome w/ Loaded Mashed Potato's and Single Cut Dry Rub Ribs

I normally like to do a glaze but this time I wanted dry ribs, just the juice and grease running down my chin this time, lol

Cut the ribs into singles , coated with Jeff's Original Rub, into the fridge for an hour or two while I got the potatoes boiling.

DSC_7641.JPG DSC_7642.JPG
DSC_7643.JPG
Potatoes boiling, onions and celery sautéing, red and green peppers diced, and cheddar grated
( I also added 2 eggs to help bind all )

Put the ribs in the smoker at 275deg. with cherry and mesquite chips and chunks

Once the potatoes cooled , ( i left them a little chunky for more texture for finished product. ) I added all the items together in a bowl.
Made my bacon weave and into my flipper baking bowl

DSC_7645.JPG DSC_7647.JPG
DSC_7649.JPG

DSC_7650.JPG DSC_7651.JPG

Stuff and the potato mix into the bowl on top of the bacon, push in solid, wrap the bacon tails on top than I added a flattened pie plate and a Foil wrapped weight so the bacon would not curl out of the pan. Into the oven at 350 deg. ( I know I did not smoke this one , sorry )

DSC_7652.JPG DSC_7653.JPG

Check on the ribs, doing good about 1 hour to go , around same time for the bacon Dome, lol

DSC_7654.JPG

Pulled the potatoes and flipped the bowl onto my pie plate onto another pan and back in for about 15 minutes to crisp up the bacon

DSC_7656.JPG
DSC_7657.JPG
DSC_7660.JPG

Ribs are ready to come in to rest while I set the table and get my plate filled up

I let the Bacon Dome ( potatoes ) rest for about 15 minutes, I am always nervous about the first cut , worried it will just spill out like soup one of these times ,lol

So here they are both resting , but my mouth is watering for a rib......

DSC_7661.JPG

DSC_7663.JPG

DSC_7664.JPG

Drum roll... ... .. the CUT, .nice it stayed intact

DSC_7666.JPG

My plate with a little kale salad with poppy seed dressing.

DSC_7667.JPG

Well folks, this is the end.

Great ribs, I like the dry ribs, but also like my different glazed ribs , and the bacon dome loaded mashed potatoes , always a good looking display at the table
and the flavours were right on .

But I got a greasy thumbs up from across the table, so that is what I like to see

Thanks for looking and reading

David

Attachments

• DSC_7658.JPG
    DSC_7658.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Wow David! Just incredible. The things you do with potatoes. I did some more cut ribs few days ago. Love them things.

Thanks Brian for the like and the comment

Yes I love me some potatoes, :emoji_yum: and always try different ways to do them.

The ribs were very good and Jeff's ( TulsaJeff TulsaJeff ) Original rub, was a winner on this meal of single ribs .
I find I get more coverage and full flavour on single cut .
Yours look good also Brian, I have never done corn in the husk like that yet, soon. Our local corn , not ready for couple months

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Now, that's a meal there! I might give the tater dish a go. Mine probably will fall apart!

Thanks Steve for the like and the comment

It was a very good meal , and I am always worried until the first cut,:emoji_sunglasses:

I had one of my domes fall , I made the scalloped potatoes too wet , and not enough cheese in it.

But that is how I learn , and eat at the same time

( PS: I hope Ann is doing better after her fall on your trip )

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H
That is a winner right there. I have been looking myself at different things to make that are epic.

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

It was a very good meal , and I like doing the singles quite often more real-estate for more area for the rub or sauce , glaze etc

And the Bacon dome is always a hit when placed on the table ( and lots of things can be placed inside ) , we normally do scallped potatoes

David

We need a masterclass at Davids house just for potato cooks. Thats a great looking meal all the way around.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment

Was a very good meal and love ribs done this way .
Who am I kidding I love ribs just about everyway there is :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_yum:

As for the potatoes, yes I also love me some potatoes, and this one is a fun way to do them also.
I meant to do a small pot of gravy just so Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ) would not yell at me ,
but forgot as my mind was totally on the ribs resting on the counter

Classes begin on Canada Day July 1st. at 5:30 am for the " Potatoes 101, ways to do them " lol
Has to be early because ,well it's Canada Day , party if you can time 🍹🍹🍹

David

( Working in the shop all day on cabinets , so in and out on the puter today )

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
As always, something incredibly creative. Those potatoes look awesome. Showed pic to wife and her comment was, why don't you do that for dinner tomorrow.

May not happen then, but will happen soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks delicious, love that bacon dome!!!

Thanks Bruce for the like and the comment

We love it also, have done a few different ones , here is the first one I posted couple years ago.
scalloped Potatoes , it was fantastic

David

Reactions: 02ebz06
As always, something incredibly creative. Those potatoes look awesome. Showed pic to wife and her comment was, why don't you do that for dinner tomorrow.

May not happen then, but will happen soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

It was a very good and fun meal, and showy on the table before the cut, lol

Glad your wife and you think that it is something you might like to try.
Let me know if you have any questions , I still spray the pan before I put the bacon weave in because once the bacon cooked and stuck to the side of the pan ( than I just had like a goulash , lol )
Have not had it stick since the cooking spray... yet lol

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky