Andouille from Monster Casing!!! Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Foam, nice job!!

DS
Thank you DS I really apprceiate the compliment.

That's one of my favorite sausages and one I would like to make. Yours looks classic. Very well done!
Listen its really not hard, its like smoking just takes a bit of trial and error to figure out how YOU want your andouille. Thank you sir. Homemade is just amazing!

That is some nice looking sausage! I agree with you about how nice the roaster works.
Thanks Todd and again, let me say thank you for all your guidance. Couldn't have made them without your help.

Way to go over the top, Kevin....all looks superb, maybe better than the last batch. I have to agree with the poaching....I picked up a Nesco last Christmas time for half price and it's still in the box in the shop. However, I have been using a ridge runner set up of a 4 inch deep pan set across 2 burners on the stove to do pretty much the same thing. Seems easier with a 5 pound batch to do it that way, for me anyway. I like that Andouille poached and then served with a bit of cheese and a glass of beer or wine....Heaven....Great job and have a super Thanksgiving.....Willie

Way to go over the top, Kevin....all looks superb, maybe better than the last batch. I have to agree with the poaching....I picked up a Nesco last Christmas time for half price and it's still in the box in the shop. However, I have been using a ridge runner set up of a 4 inch deep pan set across 2 burners on the stove to do pretty much the same thing. Seems easier with a 5 pound batch to do it that way, for me anyway. I like that Andouille poached and then served with a bit of cheese and a glass of beer or wine....Heaven....Great job and have a super Thanksgiving.....Willie
Thanks Chef, so far I am happy, But I still have not tryed doing a doing a number 2 cure and hanging some up.

I eat sausage that way but to each their own. Cold sausage, good cheese, a loaf of crusty bread, a beer would work, and a good football game to shout at.

Great job Kevin .You certainly went big.Lovely looking sausage ,not done down here.Thats a pity. 

I love the idea that its a component sausage in a sense,an ingredient rather than a stand alone eat it as it is sort of thing.

I wish I had a barn
biggrin.gif

Great job Kevin .You certainly went big.Lovely looking sausage ,not done down here.Thats a pity. 

I love the idea that its a component sausage in a sense,an ingredient rather than a stand alone eat it as it is sort of thing.

I wish I had a barn
biggrin.gif
LOL...... Barns are nice Moikel except when you are actually looking for something and can't find it for all the BS that is in the way.....LOL

Thank you sir, the compliment is greatly apprceiated.
Great looking anduoille Kevin! I'd take a batch of that Gumbo too!
Thank you Case. You're always welcome to a bowl. I am thinking for you maybe a crab, shrimp and andouille gumbo. The crabs are so sweet they need the andouille to balance out.
That's some fine looking sausage Sir!
Thank you Sir. I am guessing it was because I was out and hungry for it, but the very first batch was totally awesome.

LOL...... I gotta tell you, I got up to go outside this AM, and on my deck set one of those big plastic butter containers. I opened it and someone had left it this AM, and it was full off pecan shells....LOL 

Heres the last batch out the reefer, after smoking, cooking, and setting over night.

I make my links slightly shorter than normal. I try to make the links equal to a cooking, that way you don't have a bag full of left over pieces in the freezer.  One link, one standard gumbo.

I believe I got 44 links. Two weren't pretty, the rest were OK. Average ziploc with 3 links weight is 1 1/3 lbs.

Oh, O cut one of the two short links to see how it looked inside

Yes then I had to taste a thin slice........... I added a bit more cayenne to this batch. You can tell its there but its a nice accent and not a burn.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/content/type/61/id/353734/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

I'm gonna try the roaster cooking method... Did you set the temp at about 150 ish....
I like it because I can regulate it fast or slow. I set my alarm for 10 degrees shy of my cooking point so I know to get ready with an ice bath.

A full pot!

My hands smell so good that I begrudge washing them for fear the smell with lessen. I love that smoke smell. I can't believe I bought all that cologne while in my woman chassin years, I should have just rubbed some andouille behind my ears!

Actually I set mine 150 and usually get impatient and jack it up to 200 (don't tell OldschoolBBQ), I have the roasted insert next to it filled with ice and water. It works great!

If you notice your therm not showing correct readings, there may be water in the SS housing.... I have had that happen.... I put the probe in an oven at 250 for several hours to drive the moisture out of the casing... Usually corrects the temp discrepancy..

If you notice your therm not showing correct readings, there may be water in the SS housing.... I have had that happen.... I put the probe in an oven at 250 for several hours to drive the moisture out of the casing... Usually corrects the temp discrepancy..
Thanks Dave, I am on the second thermometer now. Got the Maverick about 15 years ago. So I have been really lucky. Or maybe its that old stuff was built tuffer? Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Dang it Foam that looks great - Nice job 

DS
This thread started all about that monster casing. Seriously, if they are all like that, I have at least 8 years worth of casing..... LOL

Oh and thanks.

Kevin, those links look just amazing! That's it....I'm done. Be there in 5!
Thank you sir.

I actually did a comparison on these, Place down the road is world famous and theirs although cased in beef middles are nowhere close to as good as these. My taste is really good, but my meat is soooooo tender. They grind their meat! They sell their World Famous andouille for 7.50/lb. INcluding the meat and the spices, I got free labor and electic, mine costs less than 2.00/lb.!! Now if I would just quit giving it all away.....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky