An Inauspicious Start

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzch46

Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
North Carolina
Well, had planned on getting up this morning early and starting the fire for a 15 lb brisket for New Year's Day dinner this evening.  Problem was that I wasn't in bed to get up yet!!  Instead I was at the ER with my daughter and 3 year old grandson, where I'd been since 9 PM last night.  He broke out with a sudden rash and severely swollen knees within an hour, so off to the ER we went.  Multiple needle stabs, probes, and IV's later he came home this afternoon.  He was a champ through it all.  Broke my heart to hear him scream like that when they were prodding around with the needles.  No clear diagnosis yet.

I brought his older brothers home with me to start the fire, so Mom and Dad could get some rest.  We got the blue smoke flowing, and the brisket is cooking inside the New Braunfels.  Ribs tomorrow.  We're gonna eat those black eyed peas yet!!

Thought I'd introduce Pawpaw's two helpers: Callen (l) and Darin (r).  Starting them off right, and showing the fourth generation of smokers how to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wade
Wow, glad he is on the mend.  Hope they find out the issue soon.  Sending prayers.  Thanks for sharing and know you have everyone's good wishes.  Keep us posted on how he's doing. 

Don't forget about the brisket and ribs too.  Looks like you've got two eager and hungry helpers to keep the focus.

Thanks Gary.
It turns out he has something called Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP for short). Should run it's course in about 4-6 weeks, albeit with itching and joint pain - but without lasting effects.

Here's the result of last night's cook:

Last edited:
Great looking brisket. My mouth is watering 
icon14.gif

Nice, Juicy and great color    good job

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky