Amateur At Best Needs Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Insert Pun About Smoking

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Hello everyone! I recently received this smoker (Pictured below) which has propelled me deeper into the wide world of smoking meats! I've dabbled a little bit with smoking in a regular charcoal grill and on the stove top to some success but never with a dedicated smoker. My first attempt was a rack of ribs which did not go well. Way too much fuel led to out of control temps and overcooked ribs. Obviously I would love to hear tips anyone has about smoking in general with this model but I'm very interested in ways to control and maintain steady temps. I'll be trying again on a 4lb brisket tomorrow (I know, I know this is one of the hardest cuts to smoke but i'm a glutton for punishment). Any pointers on that smoke would be very appreciated as well.
1577809918860.png

Reactions: JC in GB
Just general advice: start your fire well ahead of time to get the temp where it needs to be. Dont try get the "exact temp" 225-275 you're OK, let the smoker run where it's comfirtable. Put a digital oven probe on the rack your meat is on, don't rely on the built in thermometer. For your brisket have a probe in your meat, when it hits 160F internal wrap it up in foil, (keep probe in) it will be pretty hard to overcook that way. Start testing when the internal temp gets around 190F, A skewer, or instant read thermometer should slide in easy like butter. It may need to go to 205ish, all smokers and cuts vary. Good luck, and welcome.

Welcome from Wisconsin. :emoji_cat:

WaterRat hit most of the big points that should get you a successful cook.

If you can, you might consider injecting the brisket with beef stock and Worcestershire sauce, for example, for flavor and moisture.

You may want to look into getting a PID controller for your pit. It will help you maintain steady cook temps. That way you aren't constantly adjusting your air intake to maintain temps.

JC :emoji_cat:

A good thermometer makes a huge difference. I use a Fireboard and love it because I can see temps on my phone or on a desktop browser. With a vertical chamber I would probably use at least two thermometers to see what the temps are. My guess is you're going to have a huge variance from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
A good thermometer makes a huge difference. I used a Fireboard and love it because I can see temps on my phone or on a desktop browser. With a vertical chamber I would probably use at leave two thermometers to see what the temps are. My guess is you're going to have a huge variance from top to bottom.

Should I place the brisket closer to the top or the bottom?

One thing I found that just worked for me and trying again is I wrap either around 160 or whenever the bark looks just the way I want it. Last one I did I ended up wrapping it around 145 because it was starting to get a little dark and I was afraid of it burning up. And it ended up being just the way I wanted it.

I don't have much experience so far but have had some great success and I feel like you have to trust your instincts and deviate from any recipe you follow based on how your meat is cooking.

You can also practice getting your temp right without food in it. Just to learn some temp control. That way you don’t ruin any food. Just drink some beers and play with it to see how it reacts. Like everyone said. Get a good thermometer you should be able to do a search on here and find some good reviews.

Should I place the brisket closer to the top or the bottom?
that's going to depend on what the temps are in your chamber and what temp you want to cook your brisket at. That's why a good thermometer matters. I cook brisket between 225 and 250. If it's just four pounds I would probably cook closer to 225. My other recommendation is start off with pulled pork. It's a lot more forgiving than some cuts and will let you learn to control temps. Controlling temps is one of the more challenging (and rewarding) parts of cooking BBQ.

For your first few cooks, try putting it fat side down. That way you have a more forgiving bark, and you'll avoid scorched meat.on the bottom while you figure out how to maintain temps.

For your first few cooks, try putting it fat side down. That way you have a more forgiving bark, and you'll avoid scorched meat.on the bottom while you figure out how to maintain temps.
I read that it might be better to have the fat side on top so that the fat breaks down and moistens the meat. If I put it fat side down, won't the fat just fall through the grates and dry the meat out?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky