Am I The Only One... OR

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Does anybody else have a problem with the seasoning coming off the griddle when doing smash burgers... Seems like every time I do smash burgers when I scrape them loose to flip them the grill seasoning comes with it...

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
My only thoughts is you use too lean ground beef to fat out or the seasoning is not set.
I abuse my griddle, but the initial seasoning is holding well.

I do not have this issue at all. I completed about 8 or so initial seasoning layers and always apply a nice layer of oil after post cook cleaning. After a couple years mine is seasoned like an old cast iron skillet at this point. I also only use avocado oil.

Reactions: JC in GB
Is your flat top seasoned well?

It is...

Here's the deal... This unit was giving to me and the top was all rusted... I sanded it down to bare metal and started over from scratch... Seasoned with 5 layers of EVOO... As time goes by the seasoning slowly was deteriating after each use... I reseasoned the bad spots with another 4 rounds of seasoning (EVOO again)... I generally only use the 2 left burners.. The 3rd one once in a while (4 total) as Im only cookin for 2 ... The very right burner is a high sear burner so I pretty much never use that one...
Could it be the EVOO ? I wouldn't think so but then again Im not a rocket scientist...

I just keep mine seasoned with Pam, before & after a cook. Never had a problem with stuff sticking. I think the whole idea of smash burgers is to get that crust. So if you’re leaving some of it on the grill, I would use a scraper to flip it with & make sure that all the seasoning & crust come off with the burger. I’ve seen YouTube videos where they had a bit of trouble getting the burger to release clean. They just kept scraping until they got it all to flip with the burger. Good luck Keith!
Al

I make smash burgers quite often and I haven’t had the seasoning pull off the flat top. I use a mixture of soy and coconut oil or soy, coconut, and peanut oil to season. I use 80/20 beef.

JC

Reactions: jcam222
I used grapeseed oil and still coat with oil after every use trying to get the seasoning even better

Reactions: jcam222
I'd throw a little fresh oil on before each cook. Something high smoke temp.
You want too cook the burgers long enough they should start releasing by themself. Scraping them off the grill is not good for the burger or the grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky