AltoShaam Warm/Hold Cabinet build **Looking for advice**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mring1

Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
I picked up an operational 1000-S Warmer/Holding cabinet with the plan to turn it into a low temp (<200 degree F) smoker/dehydrator for salmon, jerky and sausages.
Gutted the original electric and wired in an Auber SMD200 and it's doing a great job of holding target temp in the cabinet. The issue I'm having is the temp difference from top to bottom. PID control probe is located in the middle of the cabinet. I have a separate dual probe thermometer reading temps on top shelf and bottom shelf for testing purposes. Top is 15 to 20 degrees over target temp and bottom is 10 to 15 lower. AltoShaam uses their "Halo Heat" technology to heat the cabinet which is basically heating cable wrapped around the sides/bottom/top of the cabinet. So I don't really have a particular "hot spot" like you might right above a stove/oven element but more of a circulation issue where the warm air is rising and cooler air is settling at the bottom. I think I need to add a fan of some sort to circulate that air. I'm thinking maybe a convection fan like the one (https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/convection-fan/) or a 120v muffin van like this (). The convection sucks air into the middle and out the sides, and the muffin fan pulls from the rear and pushes out the front. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for one or the other? The next issue I have to figure out is placement. I want to circulate the warm air and not necessarily blow directly on the food. Hoping some of you guys have solved this issue on your builds and can help guide me a little before I start punching holes all over my baby!

Screenshot_20211223-064430_Facebook.jpg 20211222_143201.jpg 20211222_143206.jpg

Last edited:
No help here but I'm sure some will have ideas

The smoke daddy circulation fan is a pain in the ass to install. Hole are too close to the corners to use like an impact wrench to self tap and the bolts that mount the fan housing are protruding through the bottom so they wont sit flush. I bent the shaft trying to to install mine i wouldnt reccommend it piss poor thought went into making it user friendly for retrofit installations

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky