Alton Brown

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks - please listen to the folks here with the experience and have posted the info from the experts and their book- this process does not meet any of the guidelines of food safety and for an inexperienced person could cause you to be very sick

Last edited by a moderator:
AK1 - the facts are hard to refute- you have seen the posts by experienced members and the quotes they pulled up of food safety and yet you continue - I beleive that you may have done some research though not enough in my opinion or the others who have refuted your responses

If you beleive it is safe for your family that is one thing but to post it as a safe process here I feel - just my personal feeling - is not a responsible thing to do

Find the evidence in any reputable modern book to back up your post then we can talk

The dictionary is not a cookbook

OK i am not into curing or bacon as it a medical problem for me, but Alton Brown is notjust an actor here is his BIO from Food network...

Quote:"Alton Brown's flair in the kitchen developed early with guidance from his mother and grandmother, a budding culinary talent he skillfully used later "as a way to get dates" in college. Switching gears as an adult, Alton spent a decade working as a cinematographer and video director, but realized he spent all his time between shoots watching cooking shows which he found to be dull and uninformative. Convinced that he could do better, Alton left the film business and moved to Vermont to train at the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vt. Soon after, Alton tapped all of his training to create Good Eats, a smart and entertaining food show that blends wit with wisdom, history with pop culture and science with common cooking sense. Alton not only writes and produces the shows but also stars in each offbeat episode.

Alton Brown's first book, I'm Just Here for the Food (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2002) won the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Cookbook in the Reference category, was one of the bestselling cookbooks of 2002 and has sold over 300,000 copies to date. It was also chosen by Amazon.com as one of the top 50 books of 2002 by both editors and readers.

Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen, his long-awaited homage to tools and gadgetry, was published by STC in September 2003 and was nominated for both a James Beard Award for Best Cookbook in the Tools & Techniques category and an IACP Cookbook Award in the Food Reference/Technical category. Gear is an essential guide to all the "hardware" you need in the kitchen. Packed with practical advice and tips, this book takes a look at what's needed and what isn't, what works and what doesn't.

Alton's third book, on baking, I'm Just Here for More Food, hit bookstores in November 2004 and has since gone on to become a New York Times bestseller.

On Feasting On Asphalt, Alton had only his motorcycle, a few buddies and the clothes on his back during a nostalgic trip across the country to rediscover the disappearing people, places and stories of great American road food. In 2008, Alton traveled the Carribean in search of America's culinary roots and Caribbean flavors in Feasting On Waves.

For more information on Alton Brown, visit www.altonbrown.com."

Maybe some did Google him but did not read all the info as he is not just an actor...

Just some info...

Yes i do like Alton and do watch his programs...

Good smoking....

I wish we had the beating a dead horse emoticon here
biggrin.gif
 Or maybe we do and it's beyond my sight with the new format
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I wish we had the beating a dead horse emoticon here
biggrin.gif
 Or maybe we do and it's beyond my sight with the new format
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
Mike,

I agree, but I'd rather beat that dead horse than see a lot of people get sick or worse, because somebody wants to prove all of the well known authorities on the art of smoking meat are wrong. 

OK i am not into curing or bacon as it a medical problem for me, but Alton Brown is notjust an actor here is his BIO from Food network...

Quote:"Alton Brown's flair in the kitchen developed early with guidance from his mother and grandmother, a budding culinary talent he skillfully used later "as a way to get dates" in college. Switching gears as an adult, Alton spent a decade working as a cinematographer and video director, but realized he spent all his time between shoots watching cooking shows which he found to be dull and uninformative. Convinced that he could do better, Alton left the film business and moved to Vermont to train at the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vt. Soon after, Alton tapped all of his training to create Good Eats, a smart and entertaining food show that blends wit with wisdom, history with pop culture and science with common cooking sense. Alton not only writes and produces the shows but also stars in each offbeat episode.

Alton Brown's first book, I'm Just Here for the Food (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2002) won the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Cookbook in the Reference category, was one of the bestselling cookbooks of 2002 and has sold over 300,000 copies to date. It was also chosen by Amazon.com as one of the top 50 books of 2002 by both editors and readers.

Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen, his long-awaited homage to tools and gadgetry, was published by STC in September 2003 and was nominated for both a James Beard Award for Best Cookbook in the Tools & Techniques category and an IACP Cookbook Award in the Food Reference/Technical category. Gear is an essential guide to all the "hardware" you need in the kitchen. Packed with practical advice and tips, this book takes a look at what's needed and what isn't, what works and what doesn't.

Alton's third book, on baking, I'm Just Here for More Food, hit bookstores in November 2004 and has since gone on to become a New York Times bestseller.

On Feasting On Asphalt, Alton had only his motorcycle, a few buddies and the clothes on his back during a nostalgic trip across the country to rediscover the disappearing people, places and stories of great American road food. In 2008, Alton traveled the Carribean in search of America's culinary roots and Caribbean flavors in Feasting On Waves.

For more information on Alton Brown, visit www.altonbrown.com."

Maybe some did Google him but did not read all the info as he is not just an actor...

Just some info...

Yes i do like Alton and do watch his programs...

Good smoking....
Paul,

You're right, some of us did Google him. I found he is a great cook, an author of cooking books, but mostly an actor and celebrity. I did not find anything on his knowledge of curing and smoking meats, and after seeing how he does these things, I realize why. Cooking and curing/smoking are two different things. None of this changes the fact that what he did on the link at the start of this thread is UNSAFE. I don't argue this point because I have all kinds of free time. I do it because I am genuinely concerned for peoples' health, when someone keeps preaching unsafe practices to be safe.

Bear

AK1 - the facts are hard to refute- you have seen the posts by experienced members and the quotes they pulled up of food safety and yet you continue - I beleive that you may have done some research though not enough in my opinion or the others who have refuted your responses

If you beleive it is safe for your family that is one thing but to post it as a safe process here I feel - just my personal feeling - is not a responsible thing to do

Find the evidence in any reputable modern book to back up your post then we can talk

The dictionary is not a cookbook
Thanks Scarbelly,

My main concern is that people are able to tell which of these posts are giving correct information. The more of us who explain that cold smoking should never be done after 3 days of salting, instead of many days of curing with nitrites/nitrates, the better chance that they will realize that it is not safe. Of course, this would not have to be done if it wasn't for the Alton Browns of the world & those who trust his antics.

Bear

As I said before, salt has been used for centuries.  For myself and my family, I will do it more safely.  I am not saying it cannot be done with salt.  I make gravelox with salt, sugar and spices.  The way I do it, it is three days in the fridge and no problem.  No heat there, though.  I will always err on the side of safety.  It beats getting acquainted with the porcelain god.  I am not in college any more.  I have had my time with that and breaking shower doors because I fell off the throne from eating from the wrong taco truck!

This site uses the USDA guidelines and Alton Brown's method would not fall within those guidelines and therefore is not recommended.

Last edited:
This thread has more than run its course and I'm locking it

Reactions: smokey paul
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky