Airflow issues with maze bars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PassTheFlux

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2019
Hello all,

So I have these decent sized maze bars that I cannot get to keep a decent temperature in the smoker, my thought is that it is restricting airflow because of their height. Do you think if I drilled decent sized holes in them, would it help the airflow in any significant way? There is a buffer area between the maze bars that would stop ignition with the other side of the bar so that is not an issue.

Sorry, here it is.

Attachments

• 2CF6C547-B112-4E9D-855B-790D7D3B4BF2.jpeg
    2CF6C547-B112-4E9D-855B-790D7D3B4BF2.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 16
Looks to me like you have plenty of airflow into that basket from below.

Even if you only added a few holes, and tried hard to ensure they didn't "line up", I really think you'd risk having your fire "jump" your labyrinth walls if you drill into them so I don't recommend that.

How does fresh air get into that cooking maze? Only from the sides? Can you add holes in the bottom of your rig? I assume your "keeping temperature" problem means that when the fire gets to certain spots in the maze, the cooker temperature drops??? Those are the areas I'd add a couple 3/8" holes under.

When I made a basket like that, I sealed the factory side air inlets and added a 3x3 array of holes directly under the basket and arranged in the centers of the maze path. I intended to add 3+3 sliders underneath, controlled in the front and the side, so I'd only open one hole directly under where the fire was at the time and one hole in the direction I was steering the fire. Otherewise I feared the other holes would just dillute the smoke in the cooker. However I've found I didn't need to get so complicated. The air seems to go where the fire needs it and I get plenty of heat and smoke flavor.

You're burning wood. You didn't say what temperature swings you're getting but if it's less than 30-40 degF, you probably just can't do any better without elaborate P-I-D feedback controls on airflow.

So the air comes from the right side through to the main area and then up. I am thinking that the maze is stoping airflow as they are two high to allow not just oxygen transfer but also heat. I was thinking the holes would help in that department. The big issue is getting it up in temperature right now. I am using a mix of charcoal and wood chunks.

I'm looking at your avatar and I'll proceed as if that's the cooker we're talking about. (I was assuming yours was a fully vertical unit, as is mine, in which the charcoal box is directly under the meat racks--bad to ASSume. )

And if your problem is more one of temps running too cool instead of too much fluctuation (another potential misunderstanding on my part) I think I have a simple fix....

Ensure your basket (which is quite nice btw) is not sitting flat on the bottom of your side-mounted smoke box. The fire must be able to pull in air from underneath. If nothing else, just find 4 smooth, similarly sized rocks for that basket to sit on. I'm assuming the inlet from the fire box into the cook box will still then be above the level of the coals in the basket...you simply must not block off the path of the smoke into the cook chamber.

Also you need at least 1/4" gap between the right side of the basket to the air inlet hole in the fire box to the outside world. The basket can be shoved up to the wall on the left but you need a gap on the right for the air to come in and go under the basket to where the fire is in the maze. Trust me, once the fire is going, the vacuum pulling the air down under the basket will be a lower resistance path than to go straight across from firebox from inlet to cook chamber, even if that's geometrically a shorter path.

Maybe most importantly, I highly recommend you start your fire in the front left of your maze. I use one of those round electrical starter elements for ~10 mins then once you see several coals burning, you pull it out, push your basket in, and close the door. But however you like to start a fire should work just fine. But you want the fire to work it's way in your maze toward the fresh air so start it on the LEFT. That way any ash that drops down underneath does not block the airpath for where the fire is headed.

Finally, if you still can't get enough heat, or your fire goes out going around corners, you need more air. You can drill an array of small holes in the bottom of your side smoke box as I did. (Have a catch pan underneath for hot coals to fall into, not on the floor.) Or for starters, I'd recommend a fan outside the factory inlet. A 120VAC pump for blowing up large air mattresses works well for this. To reduce the flow into the firebox (and you only a little extra flow) just pull the fan away from the opening so a smaller fraction of the forced air enters the firebox. (You'll want your fan on a box or stand so you can properly aim it at the inlet hole.)

If some day you want to get really fancy, you can put a feedback loop on the fan speed so that as your cooking temperature goes high, the fan is slowed down, and vice-versa. But let's get you walking before you run.

Let us know how it goes. Try a $1 package of hot dogs so you won't feel bad if this takes a couple iterations.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky