Affordable wood burning Santa Maria grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you search the big internet of things, you can see some done in the 600 range but you get what you pay for..... just note a expanded metal grate (ie Santa Maria grill) will be cheaper than an Argentine v-grate grill...example is the tailgater below is 350 bills more than the expanded grate....its all about fab time.

I've never seen one of these in person, but they look ok via the pictures... You could get into the tailgater for a pretty low price point.....
argintine grills.PNG

I have a 3' cowboy grill and I plan on making 1 for it, torn between expanded and V bars, cost is a lot more for V but you can channel grease away to cut down flare ups is the best reason if it is designed properly. a slight tilt to the grate to aid the flow.

Snippet from the article:
"Kudu Grills are African inspired and American made. Kudu imports South African accessories and wood, but manufacturing them in Macon truly defines the company. Kudu uses a local fabricating shop in Macon to make the grills. And the printing for instruction and promotional items are produced in Macon as well. It may cost a little more for these services, but using local suppliers provides more local job opportunities."

Try Texas Ranch Grills. I researched for ever and for the size and quality of the build I don't believe they can be beat. I bought the "Ranch house grill" and use it at least twice a week. This thing is a monster weighing in at over 450 lbs of solid steel. He will customize it anyway you like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
How do you know that, I spoke to the owner on the phone & he was making them himself. Now that has been a few years ago. Where did you get your info? I guess I don’t get out enough!
Al
I was reading the reviews on Amazon and one post said it had a tag inside, Made in China. Ok course it doesn't have to be true, could be just someone sitting on a nail being negative.

gmc2003 gmc2003 , smokin smokin .. I certainly don't want to be one to spread wrong information so I went to the website to see what it says about where it is made. I looked at the main page and found a citing for how it is made, and looked at both the kudu 2 and kudu 3 page and there are no statements about where it is made at this point.

I can't claim that I know where it is made, but the evidence suggests they are no longer made in the USA. But I'm not positive. I'm looking for your recommendation, should I just delete my post about made in China, there is an Amazon review that claims this. This is the only current statement either way.

Reactions: Danblacksher
gmc2003 gmc2003 , smokin smokin .. I certainly don't want to be one to spread wrong information so I went to the website to see what it says about where it is made. I looked at the main page and found a citing for how it is made, and looked at both the kudu 2 and kudu 3 page and there are no statements about where it is made at this point.

I can't claim that I know where it is made, but the evidence suggests they are no longer made in the USA. But I'm not positive. I'm looking for your recommendation, should I just delete my post about made in China, there is an Amazon review that claims this. This is the only current statement either way.
I wouldn't delete it Nef. It very well be made in China, or maybe that part of it was. Who really knows. All I know is what I saw on a google search(which I posted), and I haven't seen anything that says otherwise. I will admit I didn't really dig into it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky