ADHD WSM mod question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Since I've become baptised into the WSM family, my WSM has become my de-facto go to apparatus.
I just last weekend I completed an overnight 13 hour pork butt. For facts. mine is an 18"
On my overnight cook I noticed some "substantial" air/smoke leaks around the lid base. I got lucky where my flimsy little door is pretty leak free
After hours of reading Jeff's(and others) thoughts on mods, I did put some 1/4" thin nomex type gasket around the base of the lid on the top lipof the mid section/. (did the door entry while i was peeling and pasting).
Here's the ADHD part. I've noticed that the middle section does not seat very tight to the base. My feeble mind tells me this is another air entry area. I run the top vent mostly open, and the bottoms closed except one which i crack a RCH. It seems to run 235-245-ish, which is ok in most cases (Ribs, butt). Soooo, has anybody felt the need to "tighten the seal on the bottom of the middle section, or should I head to the 7/11 parking lot and score some black market ritalin?
Thanks for reading
John

Last edited:
Start heading to 7/11.

Just kidding. You are like me, when I got my WSM, it leaked around the aluminum charcoal door and lid. I did the high temp gasket kit around the door and lid. That didn’t last long. The creosote from using the WSM stuck to the gasket and tore it off. So, I bought a stainless steel door from Canjin Bandit (I believe). And for the lid I took all that gasket material off and just left it like it came from factory.

I’m assuming you bought your WSM new and never used? If so, the more you use your WSM, the more the WSM will seal itself up.

Lastly, I always leave my top vent (lid) fully open. I only mess with the bottom ones.

Hope this helps.

Start heading to 7/11.

Just kidding. You are like me, when I got my WSM, it leaked around the aluminum charcoal door and lid. I did the high temp gasket kit around the door and lid. That didn’t last long. The creosote from using the WSM stuck to the gasket and tore it off. So, I bought a stainless steel door from Canjin Bandit (I believe). And for the lid I took all that gasket material off and just left it like it came from factory.

I’m assuming you bought your WSM new and never used? If so, the more you use your WSM, the more the WSM will seal itself up.

Lastly, I always leave my top vent (lid) fully open. I only mess with the bottom ones.

Hope this helps.
I was hoping on the "creosote built up, which will probably happen on the lid seal. However the mid-section is right by the fire ring, and after a13 hr smoke there's more flaky fire crust than gooey seal it up stuff.
thank you though.

Reactions: JLeonard
I bought the LavaLock gasket kit for my 18" WSM and did the lid and door only.
I wouldn't worry about the bottom section.

As mentioned it will seal better the more you use it and always control temp with just the bottom vents and leave the lid vent fully open.

I have Cajun Bandited the heck out of mine!
It is an awesome smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky