Adding a raised grid in food chamber, OK Joe Highland?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tallbald

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Southern KY
Somewhere along the line I've ended up with an extra cooking grid in my grill parts from over the years. Is there any reason I cannot use a couple square oak or hickory blocks for supports and add an upper food grid in the cook chamber of my OK Joe Highland maybe 4-5 inches above the main grid? There's certainly enough "headroom" so to say in the cook chamber to add an occasionally needed bit of grid real estate. I'm thinking the temp at the higher level in the chamber would be hotter than down on the main grid but the lid thermometers would tell me what it was. I could smoke some sausages on top while a longer cook chuck roast smokes on the main grid.
I can't think of any reason not to try it. Some smokers I see have an upper shelf for food, so maybe this is an old "make-do" idea. Please bear with me as I learn what I'm sure is old stuff to most.
Thanks. Don.

I have 2 racks in my Lang & your right the top rack runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than the bottom rack.
So I don't see any problem with adding a second rack.
Al

Here's how it worked out for me. I've used it twice with good results. Just two foil wrapped fire bricks to support the extra grid. I also put potatoes under the grid in the drip pan that would be there anyhow, and allow the meat drippings to baste the tubers. Don.
vb6w1Gn.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky