Added another smoker - mes 30 electric need tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah ... sorta think so ... for 100.00 cant go wrong ... don't know how they can mark down all the grills and smokers to make room for the xmas stuff ...

It's great for sausage and bacon type things . I have snack sticks in mine right now. 12 inch tube in mail box lit at 9 oclock , just went out .

Reactions: griz400
Just give another point ... I will order the maze type pellet grate .. but, will try out just the wood chip deal from the outside that I have been using while I season this smoker up .... seems to work decent ... going to try out a smoked stuffed wrapped meatloaf tomorrow ..

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I use my AMNPS all the time. My cold smoke box was made for me from a guy at work. Its about the size of 2 1/2 mailboxes. The tubing going from the box to my mes30 all together is about 9ft long. Depends what I am doing determine what I do with the pellets. If I take the pellets down to a dust. It burns so slow that I'm able to run the maze close to 24 hours. It takes a few to get it to light up but for long cold smokes it works out great.

Reactions: griz400
I use my AMNPS all the time. My cold smoke box was made for me from a guy at work. Its about the size of 2 1/2 mailboxes. The tubing going from the box to my mes30 all together is about 9ft long. Depends what I am doing determine what I do with the pellets. If I take the pellets down to a dust. It burns so slow that I'm able to run the maze close to 24 hours. It takes a few to get it to light up but for long cold smokes it works out great.
Mr. T mentioned I turn pellets to a fine talc like powder with a blender. I have some pecan saw dust from Todd I'm trying first. He said it burns well and slower than sawdust.
- Kurt

Sorta like the smoke coming just from the the smoke box .. have yet to smoke something ..just broke it all in seasoned
it this evening .. going to try a smoked stuffed meatloaf tomorrow and 6 thick ribeye pork chops as a first smoke tomorrow ...

Reactions: lovethemeats
Want to smoke some different stuff on it .. sausage, bacon, maybe a butt or 2.. seems to hold a temp nice right now ... want to smoke some jerky up instead of the dehydrator .. I love deer jerky with my marinate and sprinle on some onion flakes ...

Well here goes :)

1. Be sure to use a Dual Probe Thermometer like the ThermoPro TP20 or the Maverick 735. The MES smokers are NOTORIOUS for the smoker thermometer and the meat probe being off. You are pretty much guaranteed to run into this issue and knowing proper temps is paramount for smoking meat
  2. You will want/need the AMNPS to smoke sausage and bacon and such because the onboard chip smoking is reported to not work well under 200F so the ANMPS solves this issue for you.
  3. BEWARE the temp swings with the MES. This means if you want to smoke sausage at 165F the smoker may to from 145F to 185F with the temp swings to give you an average of 165F. My MES40 would swing 35F degrees and would never get over 265-270F :( I rewired and I am now using a 3rd party PID controller and I keep within 2 degrees of the set temp :)
  4. Leathery Chicken Skin argggggh!!!! Chicken skin doesn't seem to be very edible unless you cook at 325F or higher. Other people have success at lower temps but I have yet. So if you cook chicken/turkey with skin on in the MES and even if you cook at 275F be ready to expect leathery chicken skin or throw on the grill to deal with it.
Keep all of that in mind and you should be ready to rock and with the AMNPS you can solve your cold or low temp smoking issues. Best of luck and be ready to enjoy set and forget with the MES and the AMNPS :)

Yeah the temp does seem to swing like that even in mine.
tallbm - Care to say what controller you are now using. Have any pictures of the rewire? You have me interested in it. For down the road when something goes out on any of my 2 units.

Yeah the temp does seem to swing like that even in mine.
tallbm - Care to say what controller you are now using. Have any pictures of the rewire? You have me interested in it. For down the road when something goes out on any of my 2 units.

tallbm. Never mind. I see it in your profile.

Here is my post on how to rewire an MES without needing to remove the back, though you may want to remove the back to make a panel for easy access to the safety rollout limit switch which is a common failure point for the MES.
http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

Here is my super detailed post on the HeaterMeter PID controller. If you are not so technically inclined then an Auber Plug and Play PID controller would be a good option as well. I have dealt with it for my mothers MES rewire and 3rd party PID :)

HeaterMeter PID Post:
http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/heatermeter-controller-with-wifi-and-electric-smoker-mes40-mod-in-detail.264277/

Auber PID Experiences Post:
http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/my-first-mes-and-auber-pid-experience-plug-and-play.258173/

Let me know if you have any questions and best of luck on the smoking! :)

Well here goes :)

1. Be sure to use a Dual Probe Thermometer like the ThermoPro TP20 or the Maverick 735. The MES smokers are NOTORIOUS for the smoker thermometer and the meat probe being off. You are pretty much guaranteed to run into this issue and knowing proper temps is paramount for smoking meat
  2. You will want/need the AMNPS to smoke sausage and bacon and such because the onboard chip smoking is reported to not work well under 200F so the ANMPS solves this issue for you.
  3. BEWARE the temp swings with the MES. This means if you want to smoke sausage at 165F the smoker may to from 145F to 185F with the temp swings to give you an average of 165F. My MES40 would swing 35F degrees and would never get over 265-270F :( I rewired and I am now using a 3rd party PID controller and I keep within 2 degrees of the set temp :)
  4. Leathery Chicken Skin argggggh!!!! Chicken skin doesn't seem to be very edible unless you cook at 325F or higher. Other people have success at lower temps but I have yet. So if you cook chicken/turkey with skin on in the MES and even if you cook at 275F be ready to expect leathery chicken skin or throw on the grill to deal with it.
Keep all of that in mind and you should be ready to rock and with the AMNPS you can solve your cold or low temp smoking issues. Best of luck and be ready to enjoy set and forget with the MES and the AMNPS :)
Thanks for the info, point to you, gonna give her a try in he am...meatloaf and some chops

Nice ... I have a pair of duel probe mavericks that work pretty good ... I also seen on the net that mes has a side smoke box for cold smoking as well ....The Masterbuilt electric cold smoker kit

Nice ... I have a pair of duel probe mavericks that work pretty good ... I also seen on the net that mes has a side smoke box for cold smoking as well ....The Masterbuilt electric cold smoker kit
Use your tray inside it works as long as you cover it,keep drippings off the pellets
Richie

Just ordered it today .. dont have it yet ... just going to use the hickory chips ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky