About to cook rack of lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bobby Strange

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Hello, I just opened up a package of rack of lamb...and this overpowering smell of spoiled fish hit me...very funky smell that’s hard to explain...is this normal? What causes this?

Packaging can. Rinse it off well, let it air for 10 minutes and see if the smell goes away or gets very faint. If so you are fine to proceed.

i washed it - then i seasoned it, been sitting out for about 35 minutes to come to room temp - i can still smell it underneath the garlic - its no where near as strong, not sure if the garlic is masking the smell of if it has gotten faint. I called the meat market they said yea it has a funky smell, but I just want to make sure.

Vacuum sealed...had to use kitchen sheers to open.

Yup, I’m betting you are good to go. Fresh lamb, to me, smells amazing. I grew up raising, slaughtering and butchering lamb. Vacuum sealed the lamb can get a funky smell, but if rinsed, it seems to taste very good when done.
Post up the results. Betting it’s delicious.

My family would say just slaughtered lamb has a funky smell. Define funky: spoiled or "this meat doesnt smell like supermarket chicken"?

My family would say just slaughtered lamb has a funky smell. Define funky: spoiled or "this meat doesnt smell like supermarket chicken"?

Has a definite whoa! Factor when first opened from vacuum package. Maybe spoiled fish, kinda. Not rotten, but spoiled. Once rinsed and allowed to air, it tames way down. Cooks up fine.
I can’t imagine fresh hanging lamb with a funky smell. It’s lamb after all. Lol

Has a definite whoa! Factor when first opened from vacuum package. Maybe spoiled fish, kinda. Not rotten, but spoiled. Once rinsed and allowed to air, it tames way down. Cooks up fine.
I can’t imagine fresh hanging lamb with a funky smell. It’s lamb after all. Lol
That is exactly what the smell was...definitely had whoa funky spoiled/fishy smell...I brought it to room temp and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic by the time it was ready to cook the smell had dissipated immensely- like you had to put your nose next to it and really really smell...probably wouldn’t notice it if you weren’t looking for it...cooked up well...was the best I’ve ever had to be honest. Tender, no off flavors or smells after it was cooked.

Attachments

• 1ED7C6DF-E44E-4250-BC47-E6D643DF72A4.jpeg
    1ED7C6DF-E44E-4250-BC47-E6D643DF72A4.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1BFB09BC-F3F7-4DBA-9AE1-58C844B1F9FD.jpeg
    1BFB09BC-F3F7-4DBA-9AE1-58C844B1F9FD.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 30
  • B75D7222-EC5D-4C81-A789-2FB16314EFBC.jpeg
    B75D7222-EC5D-4C81-A789-2FB16314EFBC.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 30
That is exactly what the smell was...definitely had whoa funky spoiled/fishy smell...I brought it to room temp and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic by the time it was ready to cook the smell had dissipated immensely- like you had to put your nose next to it and really really smell...probably wouldn’t notice it if you weren’t looking for it...cooked up well...was the best I’ve ever had to be honest. Tender, no off flavors or smells after it was cooked.

That’s awesome! Great looking rack of lamb, and nicely done.
Well,, now you know. Oh and points for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky