A Tribute Smoke For Gary S!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, was very saddened to hear of the loss of our forum friend Gary S. Gary was a top notch guy that loved to help others, especially simplifying the smoking of brisket… which I believe he was the “King” smoking of brisket! He had a way of making it look easy!

I thought it fitting to do a smoked brisket and some of Gary’s beans as a tribute to him! I know my brisket can never match the one of the “ King” but is my humble attempt!

I started with a full packer brisket, unfortunately had to trim much more than I’d have liked to!

Looked thru Gary’s brisket threads and followed his method as close as possible!

Here’s what we ended up with!

Brisket trimmed and seasoned with kosher salt and CBP! I don’t own an offset due to the lack of wood in my area to support having one… so used the Camp Chef pellet grill!

The brisket… kind of odd shaped after trimming the fat!

24A438E7-78B2-444F-85D0-0769B3000DC4.jpeg

After six hours, wrapped in butcher paper!

767B3BEC-0415-4EF5-8FA6-6F5BFF965AE9.jpeg

A few hours from being done, added in Gary’s beans!

ED6B2389-7F51-4838-8046-D31E7FA37EDA.jpeg

Brisket getting close and beans looking good!

AA57959F-8314-496A-B990-85F946DFE6B3.jpeg

Brisket pulled when probe tender, rested an hour and a half before slicing! Beans stirred and put in oven on low!

ECBA0386-8ABA-4DFB-9751-0D6678F4AC91.jpeg

78F29B78-20F4-40E5-8453-54FBF53ABB29.jpeg

The brisket…

43F62257-FB42-4994-B96F-C139E82AF0C7.jpeg

8102F47D-4860-455F-9DD6-AEA7ABA03154.jpeg

The beans…

377CEF2D-FB85-4A1E-B57D-08AA50202FBB.jpeg

Plated up… One of two plates, went back for seconds!

D522386E-7466-49B4-92D9-93A7C4074E18.jpeg

Thanks for lookin all, Gary S this one is for you my friend, Rest In Peace… you are missed! Appreciate all you helped me with thru the years!

Great meal but the gesture is more amazing than the food. Excellent job and kudos for the thoughtfulness remembering Gary in a way that would make him proud.

Robert

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
That's a good looking meal my friend! I'm sure you made Gary proud! That's just an awesome gesture!

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Beautiful Job, Justin !!
Like I told you the other day, when you told me you were planning this, I'm sure Gary would be both Proud & Honored that you would do this in his name, and I'm sure he is.
Thank You for honoring my Friend Gary.
I already miss his daily emails.
This is a bad year for Me, losing my Brother Jim on Dec 29th, and now Gary on August 11.
I hope they get together, because Jim would love Gary's Brisket.
Thank You Justin!

Bear

Beautiful Job, Justin !!
Like I told you the other day, when you told me you were planning this, I'm sure Gary would be both Proud & Honored that you would do this in his name, and I'm sure he is.
Thank You for honoring my Friend Gary.
I already miss his daily emails.
This is a bad year for Me, losing my Brother Jim on Dec 29th, and now Gary on August 11.
I hope they get together, because Jim would love Gary's Brisket.
Thank You Justin!

Bear

Thanks for the kind words Bear! It didn’t turn out exactly as I’d hoped, but my humble attempt!

I know yourself and Gary were good friends! Though I was not nearly as close to him as you, I did enjoy our PM’s back and forth! He is and will be missed! It was an honor to do this in tribute to him!

Sorry for the losses you’ve experienced this last year! RIP Gary and Jim!

Reactions: Bearcarver
Thank You everyone for the kind words and likes… I generally respond to everyone individually… but this smoke was for Gary and not about me! Again , Thank You all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky