A sign of summer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
A key indicator for me that summer is nigh is the day I harvest the garlic scapes from the hard neck garlic. That day was today!

38A06204-7C9A-4EF4-9C30-21E3053EDC94.jpeg

To be honest, the reason I plant hard neck garlic is for the scapes. Soft neck grows bigger bulbs and keeps better, but garlic scape pesto...

51EBFDF4-2176-4D2E-9B3B-3766AE2B1673.jpeg

Paired with brined and grilled pork chops, there was no lack of flavor. Plenty of leftovers to put on grilled fish, eggs, etc. A short term treat that heralds the warm weather and garden fresh produce to come.

C8F11546-EB25-4CBE-819A-03BFD263D455.jpeg

Very nice. We had 2 zucchini’s ready today. I sliced them up and grilled them with a little Italian dressing and grated Parmesan. Love this time of year. The garden will be running full steam ahead soon

That pork chop looks great but I’ll tell ya, I would love to have the recipe to that side dish. That plate looks awesome. Great job

That pork chop looks great but I’ll tell ya, I would love to have the recipe to that side dish. That plate looks awesome. Great job

Thanks! This is the recipe I use:

• 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes*
  • Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • A few generous grinds of black pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
I do trim the buds off the scapes. Whiz it all up in a blender until smooth and toss with your hot pasta. I top with fresh basil, Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.

Thanks! This is the recipe I use:

• 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes*
  • Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • A few generous grinds of black pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
I do trim the buds off the scapes. Whiz it all up in a blender until smooth and toss with your hot pasta. I top with fresh basil, Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Thank you, I just saved it to the cook book

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky