A LITTLE PORK BUTT TODAY (May the Smoking Gods forgive me)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Decided to do a Pork Butt today, several reasons.
#1 I was in the mood for some pulled pork.
#2 Pork Butts were on for $0.97 lb.
#3 I saw a cooking show where they used the 3-2-1 method
#4 It really wasn't that hot today mid 90's but just wasn't in the mood to fire up the smoker.
#5 I had to see for myself if really came out tender

So 3-2-1 in the oven (Smoking Gods forgive me)

I started with a 7# butt rubbed with my rub and in the oven uncovered for 3 hours at 275 degrees.
After 3 hours I removed the Butt wrapped it in Foil and returned it to oven to cook 2 hours.
After 2 hours I removed the Butt unwrapped it and back in the oven for the last hour.

Let it sit for a bit and pulled it. My wife had made some Cowboy Caviar earlier to go with
the Pork

I didn't take pics start to finish really not much to see
Here it is right out of the oven
IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Cowboy Caviar
IMG_1452.jpg

Cowboy Caviar and Pork Butt
IMG_1453.jpg

Bone came out clean
IMG_1454.jpg

My Sandwich, Pork, BBQ sauce, Onions and Sweet Jalapeno's
IMG_1455.jpg

A little Cowboy Caviar with my Sandwich
IMG_1456.jpg

Wife is going with Flour Tortillas
IMG_1457.jpg

Bottom Line: Pretty good, not as good as smoked and not quite as tender
My wife gets tired of smoked meat and she really liked this one.

Thanks for looking

Gary

Looks damn fine to me. Maybe liquid smoke in the foil when wrapping. ??? LOL I know your wife liked it so you will be making it more. I would eat it for sure.

thanks guys BTW I did put a little Liquid Smoke in the foil, Couldn't taste or smell it a bit.

Gary

Nice cook, served the purpose, and made Mama happy. Nothing wrong with any of that. Did you add anything when you wrapped it ?
What would you do different if you were to do it again ?

Looks good. I do that all the time over the winter. Restaurants too. Their Secret to fooling customers? Liquid Smoke in the......Finishing Sauce! That and like most, smoke flavored sticky sweet BBQ Sauce....JJ

My wife gets tired of smoked meat

Ditto for my wife. I think I've heard this a time or two: "everything doesn't have to be smoked, you know." Honestly, what is wrong with them?

Seriously, does look good. As mentioned and as you know, most pulled pork you buy from anywhere except a smoke house wasn't smoked anyway.

Yummmm.....!!
Looks Great Gary!!
Like.
If it was up to Mrs Bear nothing would get smoked around here, except my Bacons!!
Oh Well, what can we do.......

Bear

Here's a good story for y'all .... It's been a while, last year or so. My wife was making something with cheese, she knew I had quite a few block vac sealed. She go one out and started to grate it, and said "This cheese has a smoke smell and flavor" I said "Yeah all that cheese down in the bottom is smoked" I could tell she was aggravated and said "Is everything in this @#&%$ fridge smoked"
I said pretty much. After that I backed off on smoking everything.

Gary

Reactions: JJS
Here's a good story for y'all .... It's been a while, last year or so. My wife was making something with cheese, she knew I had quite a few block vac sealed. She go one out and started to grate it, and said "This cheese has a smoke smell and flavor" I said "Yeah all that cheese down in the bottom is smoked" I could tell she was aggravated and said "Is everything in this @#&%$ fridge smoked"

Gary
It's true 'ya know....
IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY,
AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY.

A great big like, both for the pics and the honest admission. (I have to speak quietly because the windows are open and my smoker might hear me). I do oven roast a butt or two over the winter if it's raining and I don't want to mess with the smoker. Old habits serves us well.

I know this stuff is addicting but you got to have some restraint! I chuckle every time I see a Newbie propose a menu of...
Smoked ABT's,
Smoked Chuckie,
Smoked Ribs,
Smoke Disney Turkey Leg,
Smoked Mac & Cheese,
Smoked Beans and
Smoked Apple Pie for dessert...JJ

thanks for sharing, I seen the show doing the 3-2-1 pulled pork your talking about and was wondering myself how good it would come out, it does cut down on the cooking time. by the way it looks good

I might just have to try that, Gary. I think Miss Linda tends to get just a tad tired of smoked. I heard her telling one of her friends "I swear to God, if you can eat or drink it, Gary figures it can be smoked". Well.......yeah that's true.
Gary

Gary

LOL---I remember when that happened.
You told me (Email) then that your smoking would be cut down for awhile.

Bear

I know this stuff is addicting but you got to have some restraint! I chuckle every time I see a Newbie propose a menu of...
Smoked ABT's,
Smoked Chuckie,
Smoked Ribs,
Smoke Disney Turkey Leg,
Smoked Mac & Cheese,
Smoked Beans and
Smoked Apple Pie for dessert...JJ
Don't forget smoked ice!

Thanks guys. I have cut back a lot. A couple of years ago my neighbor came over to check on me, Asked if I was OK ?? I said yeah I fine ?? He said I haven't smelled your smoker going and was just checking on you.
Cool weather will be here soon and I'll smoke a lot more than I have this summer. About time for some neighborhood BBQ

Gary

Sometimes you feel like it smoked, sometimes you don't. It's all good, I don't care for every meal being smoked either. In fact I've cut down on the amount of smoke to just a wisp of smoke. The PP looks mighty inviting!! I think I'll have to unfreeze a bag for work this weekend.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky