9LB Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawny2005

Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Second try, my first one was a complete bust. (temps never made it high enough, and after 12 hours I was dunzo and tired AF)

This one was a 9LB Shoulder I got at Safeway for 13 dollars. Only had about 10 days left on the "must be cooked by" blah blah. It smelled fine, but the meat didn't look wonderful. I'm not sure how to tell but maybe someone can give some pointers.

Link to all pics:

Smoke it to an IT of 203 degrees. This could take upwards of 20+ hours depending on your smoker. Smoke it at 225-250 degrees.

If your short on time when it hits 160 degrees wrap in foil or pink butcher paper and use the “Texas crutch”. It’ll help get it through the stall faster.

If your using your smokers temp gauge your doing it wrong. Buy a third party thermo (maverick, igrill, etc...) to know where your temps of your meat and smoker truly are.

Good Q on large pieces of Meat takes time.

Good luck,
Scott

Breed, feed, age, time the meat is in contact with oxygen before packaging, time in packaging, can all effect color. As you discovered, smell is the best way to determine your pork is fit to cook and eat. Most vac-pac meats will smell a little funky when first open. This should dissipate in a minute or two. If the smell is nauseating or does not fade, the meat is spoiled and should be tossed...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky