45lbs of Pork Butt on my new/used Original Oklahoma Joe's for son's 1st bday party.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatsweats86

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Farmington, MN
http://My Son turns 1 on Memorial Day and my wife invited 75+ people so I figured what better way to try out my new/used 16” Original Oklahoma Joe’s. Pork Butt’s happened to be $.99/ lbs so I picked up 5 for a total of 45lbs raw pork.

I didn’t feel like being tired and smoking the day/night before the part so I figured I would smoke this weekend, freeze it and then put in slow cookers the day of party. I have done this in the past and except for the bark losing its crispy texture, I almost think the meat taste better the next day. Haven’t had any complaints so that was the plan.

I cut majority of the fat cap off and then lightly coated with salt and wrapped the night before.

The morning of I slathered a light coat of mustard and then coated w/ Memphis Dust.

First time using a offset stick burner. I started with 2 chimneys of lump and added 2 splits of hickory. Got my temps to 212 – 235 in the cook chamber.

5 butts were a tight fit inside the 16” chamber. I wish it was 20”, but I don’t plan on cooking this much very often.

It was 45 degrees, windy and rainy all day. This made it difficult to maintain my temps above 225. I ended up using 2 bags of charcoal and about 10 splits of hickory to keep this thing going.

Started smoking at 7:30 and by 5 pm I was still only at 160. I didn’t intend on wrapping these, but I was getting tired and didn't know how long the stall would last so I wrapped with foil and threw them into the oven to finish them off. I finally got to IT of 203 around 8:30. Let them rest for an hour, pulled them and vac sealed for the party.

Would a basket in my fire box help with getting higher temps without going through so much charcoal/wood?

I would have liked to smoke these at 275, but it seemed impossible to reach that. Chimney was wide open and FB door was cracked/ if not open the entire time.

Overall very happy with the first smoke on this $60 craigslist purchase.

Any advice on achieving higher temps and being able to maintain for longer than 30 mins would be helpful.

Reactions: SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky