36 day Dry Aged Umai Bags- NY Strip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
Purchased whole choice strip at Costco for $9.69 a pound. No issues at all with Umai bag. Pretty simple I thought.
IMG_2288.jpg

1st time doing this and wasn't sure how long as I have never even had dry aged before. With camping trip and tomorrow good friends birthday, today is the day. Out of the package.
IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

After trimming. Excellent coloring and smelled beefy.
IMG_2508.jpg

Cut into some thick steaks for tomorrow for the boys and a few thinner for the ladies.
IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

Ended with 9 solid steaks and one funny end one. I cannot wait to try these. The process was pretty easy and I ended up putting a whole ribeye in that has about 10 days on it right now. Never did final weight. Turns out to be about to be around $12.50 per steak. Always fun trying something new!

Nice, should be delicious.
I'd watched out for the vein end of the strip. I usually grind that end for burgers or thinly slice for cheesesteaks, because they don't eat too well.

Excellent experiment! Cannot wait for the follow up review.

I always have fun trying new things even when they don't always work out

Reactions: jmusser
They are beautiful looking. What is your seasoning?

For grips and grins; let's play general Econ 101 - Eating your meal vs. eating at a Steak House, not counting who does the clean-up?! LOL!
  • $12.50/steak to make = $37.50/each steak out X 9 steaks =$337.50 savings for the meat.
  • For your sides, drinks and time you had $221.93 ($337.50 - $115.57 = $221.93) to spend for the folks. And pay the dishwasher!
Not bad at all, especially since it's all homemade and to order! IMO that was a VERY SUCCESSFUL experiment both in cooking and economics! Thank you for sharing. 🍻
John

They are beautiful looking. What is your seasoning?

For grips and grins; let's play general Econ 101 - Eating your meal vs. eating at a Steak House, not counting who does the clean-up?! LOL!
  • $12.50/steak to make = $37.50/each steak out X 9 steaks =$337.50 savings for the meat.
  • For your sides, drinks and time you had $221.93 ($337.50 - $115.57 = $221.93) to spend for the folks. And pay the dishwasher!
Not bad at all, especially since it's all homemade and to order! IMO that was a VERY SUCCESSFUL experiment both in cooking and economics! Thank you for sharing. 🍻
John
Thanks John! Well it turns out I am bad at math. Ended with 10 steaks. Plus a weird end. Will prob just keep it simple with SPGO for tomorrow. Dang summer cold is messing up my taste buds right now.

Did some good sandwiches tonight and tasted nothing.

Nice, should be delicious.
I'd watched out for the vein end of the strip. I usually grind that end for burgers or thinly slice for cheesesteaks, because they don't eat too well.
Thanks. Interesting. Is that the end that was a little less inline with the rest of the strip?

Wow. They look great. I havent tried this yet. Maybe I should.
Same here. I have a bunch of umai bags. The color of the finished stuff before trimming throws me off some though. That is mostly why I’ve been putting it off.

Same here. I have a bunch of umai bags. The color of the finished stuff before trimming throws me off some though. That is mostly why I’ve been putting it off.
Once I started trimming, it was surprisingly thin that needed any sort of trimming. More of a shave. Zero smell to it even when just opening bag.

Any suggestions on how to cook dry aged steak? I am not sure if they cook different with so much less moisture.

I've done a few UMAI dry bags before they are great to try something different at home. Watch when cooking. They will cook a little differently then a regular "wet" steak. No moisture at all, so use "feel" or IT as your gauge. They will have a great beefy flavor.

RG

Fired up on the Weber with searing for 2 minutes on each side then over low heat til temps at 130-135. Pulled and rested. Overall pretty happy with them. Stayed plenty moist. Some pieces were extremely tender and good, other were okay. It was like the further we all got into them the better they tasted. Beef was the intense flavor in these. Excited for the rest. Not at the point were I will only eat dry aged steaks, but overall a good experience. I think I might pull my ribeye closer to 28 days to see what I like better.
IMG_2527.jpg

Thanks. Interesting. Is that the end that was a little less inline with the rest of the strip?

In your image, it's the one on the very bottom, and to a lesser extent, the one above it as well. There's a lot of connective tissue and gristle.

I've done this with a beef top loin as well. Cut it in half, and did one at 30 days; then trimmed, cut, vac packed, and froze. Then let the other half go to 45 days.
Thawed out the 30's, and we did a side-by-side comparison. Both were good, but we felt the 30-day's were just a little better.

If you really want to experiment with dry aging, try a 60-day aged brisket. I've done it twice now, and they're fantastic!

• Wow
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky