30" Master Built electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If it were me, I would be getting out my multi-meter and a schematic. If the red light on the panel is going out when it is supposed it seems the controller is working as it should and it should cut power to the relay for the heating element. Test this signal wire from the control board to the relay FIRST. Then  I would definitely check the wires are on the correct terminals of the relay and that is working/switching correctly. Since you say you have already replaced the control board, the relay and/or connections seem suspicious and the most likely to me. Really there is nothing else left.

I would like to add... CHECK ALL YOUR GROUND WIRES also, and they are tight, not corroded, or not otherwise a good connection to BARE metal. I know there is one for the element itself, but there is probably one for the relay also. There will definitely be one for the control board. The terminals and terminations can fail because of heat, corrosion, vibration, etc. check them all carefully.

After all this Headache, I would call Masterbuilt again.

Be nice, but tell them the whole story. I've seen them send out a new unit, and then have you cut the cord off your old one & send them a pic of it.

Worth a Try.

Bear

Well I made it back. The new relay finally come in installed it a couple days ago no change. I checked again to see if the element would get hot when you just plugged the unit in and it does, took the cover off over the element so it could be seen and right off I thought I found the problem the element was laying on the chip tray support so I found a small piece of ceramic placed It between the support and the element plugged unit into 120 it heat up without turning unit on. A while back we checked with the volt meter on the connections to the element one side has 120 volts to ground the other side reads 0 volts, as I was doing this I looked inside the unit the element was red hot for about 1/2 in. on the lead that checked 0 volts to ground, also there was a small hole in that 1/2in circle. Could the element be the problem??????????????

I checked again to see if the element would get hot when you just plugged the unit in and it does,

How hot will it get? Will it come up to full temp? over temp? If you just plugged it in without turning it on, obviously something is still amiss. Again- Test this signal wire from the control board to the relay FIRST!

took the cover off over the element so it could be seen and right off I thought I found the problem the element was laying on the chip tray support so I found a small piece of ceramic placed It between the support and the element

It is normal for the element to touch what you are calling the chip tray support. You shouldn't need that ceramic, but not sure if it would hurt anything either. I would leave it out myself

plugged unit into 120 it heat up without turning unit on. 

Something is still not right.

A while back we checked with the volt meter on the connections to the element one side has 120 volts to ground the other side reads 0 volts,

This would be correct depending on how you had your leads. With the terminals to the element disconnected, check Ohms (continuity) through the element.

as I was doing this I looked inside the unit the element was red hot for about 1/2 in. on the lead that checked 0 volts to ground, also there was a small hole in that 1/2in circle. Could the element be the problem??????????????

Possibly. It is possible you have more than one issue. If there is a small hole in the element, I would replace it. That little hole is what it looked like on the bad element I just changed this week. BUT. If the element is heating and getting to full temp, then it is working . It either is, or it isn't.

dlake- I don't mean to insult you and I hope I don't sound condescending, but do you have a buddy or someone you can call that understands electronics and electricity a little better? You know what you are working with can kill you, right?

I think you may have two different problems as well. The element is deteriorating and when the unit is plugged in or just the power light is on there is a closed circuit through the heating element. Something is shorted out or electricity isn't taking the intended path it's designed to take through the controller/circuit boards/wiring.
-Kurt

Sounds like time to rewire and use a PID controller.  It actually isn't that complicated but takes some tinkering, tools, and some time.

If you use an AMNPS for smoke generation and add a PID controller (with the rewire job) you have basically eliminated the major issues the MES comes with.

It sounds to me like you are going to need to take the back off and inspect wiring, connections, and the element anyhow.  That is half the work of the rewire job. 

In any case best of luck with the fix of your MES :)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions Browneye I may not be able to express my knowledge into writing but I was a telephone man for 38 years I know a little about electricity and how to read a volt meter not being disrespectful and 90volts dc ringing current will kill also.

One more question since this is ac that we are working with does it matter which side the leads are plugged to on the element just asking.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions Browneye I may not be able to express my knowledge into writing but I was a telephone man for 38 years I know a little about electricity and how to read a volt meter not being disrespectful and 90volts dc ringing current will kill also.
One more question since this is ac that we are working with does it matter which side the leads are plugged to on the element just asking.
I have two identical smokers and the elements are wired opposite from the other so it doesn't matter.
-Kurt

Dr K when I switched the leads and plugged unit into 120 it tripped the breaker on the wall. I believe the element is shorted out.

Problem solved element was bad. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you found the Problem---The rest should be easy. 
icon14.gif

Bear

Glad to hear it was fixed.  Can't wait to see what gets smoked :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky