3 chucks Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bangster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Planning a little get together between 9 people, at a location not where the smoker is.

1 chuck barely fed 5 of us last time (well, to be honest 3 are teens, 2 of which are "starving" college students), so thought I would go for 2...then decided to try some faux burnt ends. 2 4.5 pound roasts and a 3 pounder.

Saturday morning get the marinates ready.

1 is red wine with black pepper, parsley, garlic, onion.

2 is worcestershire sauce with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic.

3 is a Texas style rub salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, garlic, red pepper.

Sunday morning at 0 dark 30, get the Hickory, Cherry, and Maple blend pellets loaded up (the "Gourmet" pellets from Costco), get the smoke rolling, and set it to 225 and go to sleep.

Set an alarm for 4 am (3 1/2 hours smoking time). Temp is only up to 155 for the two larger marinated roasts, 165 for the smaller rubbed one. Go ahead and wrap them in foil adding a little of the marinade back into the foil.

smaller one gets cubed and panned and coated in BBQ sauce

All wrapped up and back at 225 degrees, just barely gonna make it to the time I have to leave, I might have to turn up the heat for an hour.

I will try to get some finished product pictures. Taking tortillas, rolls for sandwiches, or eat it like sliced roast. Sides are mac and cheese, potato salad, some grilled/roasted salsa (I did a Q View of that I think already), some MGD, a few wine offerings like a Malbec, a Shiraz, and a sweeter white Riesling.

As the temps are already in the upper 90s, some time spent at the pool will be mandatory, that is why I am smoking the chucks over night instead of grilling up some steaks. Daughter lives in a college kids setup apartment complex, the grills don't always work, or work too well, or I get stuck behind a group that don't quite understand the grilling and how to work the safeties built on, like a timer on the gas flow.

I already know I should have gone another hour smoking, and maybe mopped/spritzed them a couple of times, but I need my sleep, long day of driving ahead.

Looks like a great smoke! Beef gets ate up quick after it's pulled off the smoker. What was the best one? 1?2? Or 3? It's hard to find get beef cut bigger than 5 pounds besides brisket and sirloin tri tip. but Its worth it to ask and try to find.

Sounds like a hectic start to your day!

But I'm sure it will end with some good food & drink!

Everything sure looks great  so far!

Al

I cannot guarantee that these will make it to lunch...

nice and tender, the BBQ sauce rendered down to...don't know, should have flipped them part of the way, and uncovered earlier, but they are amazing, gotta lock them up. This was 3 pounds pre cook weight, and very large cubes, not really snack sized but pull off chunks to eat sized.

Reactions: browneyesvictim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky