3/8” steel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cgzak

Original poster
May 18, 2016
Ocean Springs, MS
Hello,
I have searched the forum and haven’t found the information I’ve been looking for.
I understand the gold standard is 1/4” steel for a smoker, but I can get 3/8” surplus pipe much cheaper. Weight is not an issue in this build. Also, I have an unlimited supply of wood! With that being said, is there any reason not to use 3/8” steel over 1/4” for my offset build?

Not sure if I'd call 1/4" steel a gold standard, it's just a happy medium whilst considering cost and weight. Go with the 3/8" and don't look back. Consider your door counter weight carefully if you are building an offset or reverse flow.

The reason 1/4" is used more is cost mostly and sometimes weight but if I could buy 3/8" cheaper than 1/4" I would have the 3/8" heck even if the price was the same I'd have it

What thirdeyd and piney said.... I would actually say 3/8" is the gold standard and 1/4 is the economy standard....I did my fire box out of 3/8"....Love it!

Reactions: TNJAKE
I totally agree! I made mine out of 3/8 pipe and have no problems doing a Christmas prime rib in 9 degree weather. It’s heavy but works great!!

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky