2012 MES 40 inch confusion (learning)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grasshopper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Pine City MN
When using moist heat doesn't the drippings drain into the water pan.?  My first smoker, Got it last Friday and did Jeff's chuck roast. I did not soak my chips and they burned up pretty fast in my opinion. A veteran smoker said he applies the smoke later when the juices are going in, not at the beginning when they are coming out. What is the opinion on that.?
7697bd95_MES40.jpg

I did not soak my chips and they burned up pretty fast in my opinion.
You will get various opinions on soaking chips. My opinion is that it is not worth soaking chips. You only delay when the chips start to smoke rather than significantly lengthen the period of time or change the intensity that the chips smoke. Another opinion of mine is to forget about using chips in the MES and get an AMNPS as a smoke generator. An AMNPS provides the right intensity of TBS and can run up to 10 hours without needing a refill.

Last edited:
You will get various opinions on soaking chips. My opinion is that it is not worth soaking chips. You only delay when the chips start to smoke rather than significantly lengthen the period of time or change the intensity that the chips smoke. Another opinion of mine is to forget about using chips in the MES and get an AMNPS as a smoke generator. An AMNPS provides the right intensity of TBS and can run up to 10 hours without needing a refill.
X2...all your doing soaking chips is adding steam until they are dry enough to smolder....AMNPS is a god sent for easy...perfect 10 hours of smoke!!!

I have been using the MES 40 for close to three years. If i want to save the drippings i just put a foil pan on the next rack under the meat.

A hand full of chips will last 30 -45 min. on my old MES. Today i smoked 4 racks of spare ,2 tri tips and a pan of dutch's wicked beans w/ my amnps.

16 oz of pellets got me a lil over 8 hrs of smoke.

I've had a MES 40 for 6 years, mine is the lower wattage version 800 watts.  For most of that 6 years I have used soaked chips.  If there is a delay beyond a minute or two for the initial load of soaked chips I haven't seen it.  If you are worried about a delay on the initial handful then make that a dry load, and the hot ash from that load will ignite the soaked chips very quickly.  Steam from soaked chips, I don't think so, there is hardly any moisture, I have used both dry and wet chips and don't see a difference is the quality of smoke.  I prefer wet chips because I use hardly any chips when I start 8-10 chips thats it, my first 3 loads are 8-12 max, so I wet the chips to get a little slower burn.  After the 3rd hand load of chips I increase to about 15+ chips because there is a nice hot bed of ash for good combustion.  I also use wood chunks.

I have had the AMNS for almost 2 years, and just bought the AMNPS, both are an improvement on the length of smoke time provided you can get them to work properly, there is a learning curve, so if you are not successful and need to keep that meat smokin so your BBQ party isn't disappointed, then learning to use chips & the chip loader properly is a good idea.  Having said that, by all means the AMNPS is a very worthwhile & possibly a must have accessory for your MES.

The OP asked about when the meat receives smoke the best.  When smoking meat, at the beginning the moist meat absorbs smoke. Less smoke is absorbed as the cooking continues because the surface of the meat begins to seal and becomes saturated with smoke. For this reason putting a pan of water in a smoker helps keep the meat surface moist and absorbing smoke longer

Most of the smoke flavoring occurs in the first hour or two of cooking so adding wood to the fire late in the cook doesn't create as much flavor.

Over smoking is a problem too, smoke is a seasoning just like salt, the right amount takes you right to flavor town, too much and you're guests won't be asking for seconds.  You have to experiment for your tastes.  This is one reason the MES is so successful, the heat is controlled, a water pan is included to keep the surface of meat moist and just a little bit of wood chips seasons the meat properly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky