2012 Deer Camp Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

humdinger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 27, 2012
Shelby Township MI
Ok, this is my first official Q-view so I'm going big.

Every November about 15-20 of my buddies and some relatives go up to my dad's place on Lake Huron in the "thumb" of Michigan's mitten for our annual Deer camp hunting weekend. (The irony is only about 5 guys actually hunt...)

While copious amounts of alcohol are always consumed, food is the real "star" every year with smoked meats taking center stage. Each year new rub recipes, sauces, and cuts of meat are tried. This year was by far the best and I got to do it all in my new Landmann 3895GWLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker. (below)

This next pic is the full house.

The following pics are shelf by shelf.....

Pork Loin Crown and Bone-in pork butt

Peppered Corned Beef Pastrami and Leg of Lamb

Chuck Roast

Next are some Cajun spiced wings my brother grilled as appetizers. He got the rub from some mysterious old woman at a flea market...so you know it was awesome!
wife.gif
ROTF.gif
Sorry no more pics of these, I left to hunt and they evaporated while I was gone.

One of us actually bagged a Doe, but we "butched" it up by adding some old horns we found in the garage to make it look like a buck. If you look closely, you'll see my dad's kill hanging on the left (a mouse from the garage).

Bounty from the Doe. Some tasty fresh tenderloins. Salt, pepper, done.

Some home made sweet potato fries while we wait!

Lake Huron shoreline. With mild winter last year and drought this past summer, water is WAY down. Blue line is norm.

Homestretch. Chuck roast finished first. Hit a nasty stall with this Butt. 8lbs butt-16 hour cook. (though I found out the 3895GWLA is great on propane)

Nice shot of the crown. All done.

Corned Beef Pastrami (the crowd favorite). Definitely doing a whole packer next time.

Me slicing Pastrami. Turned out awesome!

Dave Pulling Pork..(what else is new?!)
sausage.gif

Chuck Roast. Very tender.

Leg of Lamb. Biggest surprise of the cook. Many guys liked it a lot more than thought they would.

There wasn't much left over. Just some pulled pork and loin chops. So although it may be redundant, you could call this all guys hunting weekend a "meatfest" thanks to my good buddies and their contributions to breaking in the new smoker. Next year we'll put some focus on side dishes because there wasn't a lot of colored veggies or greens on the table....(I guess liquified barley and hops counts right?)

Special Thanks to Dave, Eddie, and John for supplying the great variety of meat.

Thanks for viewing. I tried not ramble so holler with any comments/questions etc.

Sounds and looks like a damn fine "Man-cation"  Guns, Beer, and BBQ.... and BEER! 
Thanks guys. Yeah it was a blast. We go through a lot of Jack Daniels and Jagermeister too. This was the fourth year of doing this trip and it gets bigger each time. Next year's opening day for firearms is on a Friday so it could even be crazier!

Great tread Humdinger. Nothing better than hunting camp. Guns, beer and some good a$$ cooking thats what I'm talking bout.

Thanks cooknhogz! Yeah it was a great time. We always deep fry a bunch of stuff too. I'll get pics of that next year! Hang in there...the snow is hitting both of us hard and heavy right now.

Last year we smoked a whole hind leg at opening day dinner , didnt hang long enough to even get cold .. Ohhhh os good , green oak on a double barrel 55 gal drum Yummmmm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky