2 - 15# fulls in an MES 30? Is it possible?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I have been searching on the site and have not yet found anything.  I need to smoke 30# of brisket for my son's grad party.  I have an MES 30 and have about 14" x 12" racks.  I should have 4 racks, but I seem to have misplaced one of them.

Should I cut the briskets to fit.  Should I fold the briskets to fit? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Fold??  I use an MES 30.  I would cut each brisket section into a 12x12 and fill each rack.  They'll cook just fine.  Just keep them 'spritzed'.

Oh, I might rotate the racks every 3-4 hours to keep the cooking even

Last edited:

I have been searching on the site and have not yet found anything.  I need to smoke 30# of brisket for my son's grad party.  I have an MES 30 and have about 14" x 12" racks.  I should have 4 racks, but I seem to have misplaced one of them.

Should I cut the briskets to fit.  Should I fold the briskets to fit? 

Any help would be appreciated.
I would think if you want to cut them apart, I would separate the Points from the Flats. Then see if you can get the two Points on Rack #3, and the two Flats on #1 and #2.

Preheat it first & don't smoke it lower than 250° Smoker Temp, because that's a lot of cold meat for an MES 30.

Bear

I would think if you want to cut them apart, I would separate the Points from the Flats. Then see if you can get the two Points on Rack #3, and the two Flats on #1 and #2.

Preheat it first & don't smoke it lower than 250° Smoker Temp, because that's a lot of cold meat for an MES 30.

Bear
Thanks for the info!  Is there a post somewhere on how to remove the points from the flats?

Also, is it bad to have the ends of the flat pressed against the side of the smoker?

J

Thanks for the info!  Is there a post somewhere on how to remove the points from the flats?

Also, is it bad to have the ends of the flat pressed against the side of the smoker?

J
Yes a real good one---Let me see if I can find one.

I never let any meat touch the sides of my MES, because I don't clean the sides.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky