1st time using and Smoking Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cookin_Grillin_Smokin

Original poster
Mar 15, 2018
Lake Elsinore, CA
So I just threw on my first 2 slabs of bacon on my pellet smoker. I let them cure for 9 days.

I attached a couple of pictures. One slab has really nice looking color, the other one looks a little off, almost a little green? (I’m color blind so it’s hard to tell)

does this look normal? I’m just nervous because it is my first time and I want to be sure the bacon is safe to eat. Thank you!

Attachments

• B52853FA-FD98-4CB2-83D5-A21ECD05F94D.jpeg
    B52853FA-FD98-4CB2-83D5-A21ECD05F94D.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 22E8E9BD-39D0-482B-A203-62D69707EF19.jpeg
    22E8E9BD-39D0-482B-A203-62D69707EF19.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: JLeonard
I used this low sodium recipe: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/low-sodium-bacon-recipe.284429/

However, I used a little bit more curing salt. I believe it was about 4 grams of curing salt and 20 grams kosherwhich I was told may be too much.
I put it in a vacuum sealer bag and sucked about 95% of the air out of it. Put it in the fridge for 9 days.
Could it be just maybe the juices that were in the bag stained the meat? It didn’t smell bad when I took it out of the bag,

Each slab was in its own bag, but they were stacked on top of each other to save space in the fridge. I would flip them once a day, but forgot to do that the last couple days

Could be them being stacked caused the color difference. I'd say if you followed that recipe and there is no smell you should be good to go. Wait on other opinions though

Looks good to me. The off color in spots are normal. I wouldnt cut it off and never have.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Awesome, thank you for your help guys!
My first slab is done, only smoked for about 2 hours as my pellet smoker only goes down to 200. Now gonna let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before digging in

I let it hit 145 internally by accident so hopefully it’s not overcooked :)

Attachments

• E64249BD-07D4-42B2-8739-EB57847BBFB9.jpeg
    E64249BD-07D4-42B2-8739-EB57847BBFB9.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 30
Awesome, thank you for your help guys!
My first slab is done, only smoked for about 2 hours as my pellet smoker only goes down to 200. Now gonna let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before digging in

I let it hit 145 internally by accident so hopefully it’s not overcooked :)
That’s the piece that looked funny out of cure. Just look at her now! Pretty bacon and uniform color.

That green color is normal... It's the light refracting off the fat... Like you see on water when there is gasoline or oil floating on it...

Google green bacon...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky