• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st Time picnic shoulder!

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimh64

Sep 22, 2013
I have read on here several times about smoking a picnic shoulder but was hesitant. Boy am I glad I tried it!

Based on suggestions here,, I trimmed off the skin. Man, there was a lot of it! I then trimmed most of the fat.

I started up my 30mes and set it at 225. My maverick thermometer is acting up and won't read the temperature of the smoker, so I relied on the built in thermometer..

I put it in at 10pm with hickory chips and went to bed. At 8:30am I woke up and checked my maverick and it said 194 degrees! Whoo Hoo, almost done! I let it go to 202 and took it out... I never foiled it until I took it out and then I let it rest for an hour... best pulled pork I made so far!

Here are a couple pictures!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Looks my-t-fine to me....    I'd eat it..... 

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Yep, That looks great. How was the rub, I have them now and will be making some when I get home for spring as well.

jimh64

Sep 22, 2013

Yep, That looks great. How was the rub, I have them now and will be making some when I get home for spring as well.
The rub is awesome,,,the bark was great and the smoke really penetrated the meat.  I forgot to mention in my post that it took about 11 hours to finish it...It was a little over 9lbs I think.

I used yellow mustard and put a bunch of rub on it and let it sit for around 3 hours.  I forgot to put it on the night before, which is even better!

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Great, Thx. Looking forward to it....

jimh64

Sep 22, 2013
Nice looking butt,love that bark!
drool.gif
:
Thanks!
beercheer.gif

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
It sure looks delicious!

Great job!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky