1st smoke on new to me stick burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyomingsmoker77

Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
After a trip to Houston and sampling bbq at 3 different places, I decided that my quest for making true bbq was nowhere near what it should be. I had the best brisket and ribs while in Texas. After returning home I bought a reverse flow from a friend and tried ribs yesterday. A simple salt, pepper, and garlic rub, then onto the smoker. Ribs got done sooner than expected but turned out pretty good for first time. I was able to achieve the thin blue smoke and ribs had no bitter taste. Definately a step I the right direction.

Attachments

• 20200308_170151.jpg
    20200308_170151.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200310_124115.jpg
    20200310_124115.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200310_155743.jpg
    20200310_155743.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 70
That's a pretty wild looking rig there, wyoming! Glad to see it turned out tasty!
What sort of wood did you use?
I used hickory, for the time being that is all i can get. I have to travel to get oak and will get a pick up load this spring.

I used hickory, for the time being that is all i can get. I have to travel to get oak and will get a pick up load this spring.
Hickory is perfect for ribs! I've been buying Kingsford Hickory "mini logs" for a few years, but the last couple of bags I got were pathetic. Too big with the bark still on and they don't want to burn. Same with the Mesquite. Oklahoma Joe's from Menards the same. Huge logs. Cost cutting? I get Oak from cutting "slices" off my firewood with a small chain saw. It's getting to where getting wood is way more trouble than the smoking!...

Reactions: wyomingsmoker77
Cool looking Rig, nice score there, you will have some fun with that smoker and sounds like you have it nailed . The Ribs look great.

I use SmokinAl SmokinAl Method for Ribs, might be worth a try for you. Its easy and just works.

Reactions: wyomingsmoker77
Hickory is perfect for ribs! I've been buying Kingsford Hickory "mini logs" for a few years, but the last couple of bags I got were pathetic. Too big with the bark still on and they don't want to burn. Same with the Mesquite. Oklahoma Joe's from Menards the same. Huge logs. Cost cutting? I get Oak from cutting "slices" off my firewood with a small chain saw. It's getting to where getting wood is way more trouble than the smoking!...
The mini logs is what I was using from WalMart. They had alot of bark as well. In Northern Wyoming we don't have hardwood, mostly pine. I think I can source split oak from a fella in South Dakota.

Cool looking Rig, nice score there, you will have some fun with that smoker and sounds like you have it nailed . The Ribs look great.

I use SmokinAl SmokinAl Method for Ribs, might be worth a try for you. Its easy and just works.

I ran across SmokinAl's method this morning and will try it, his look fantastic!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky