1st pellet brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt r

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Long Island, New York
So I'm going to do a 15 lb packer on my Traeger tonight. I got the beef rubbed down with spog and also some brown sugar which I love on brisket.
Ill be using Pit Boss competition pellets (picked up a 40lb bag at Lowe's for $8.50! The bag was slightly torn so they discounted it 50%)
Going to start at around 10pm and let the smoke go overnight at 225. We'll see what happens at around 7am tomorrow.
Wish me luck!!!!

IMG_0651.jpg

Reactions: funkadelik
Looks good... do you wrap or go all the way bare?
I have been using the peach paper for the last several brisket cooks and I like the results... have also used foil in the past.

Im going bare to the end,sir. But when I pull it at 200-205 (depending on how the probe slides in) I'm going to wrap in foil, blankets, and stick it in a cooler for a few hours.
Should be tender and juicy. "Should" being the operative word here!

Why go all the way to 205? Instead of stopping at 130 like a steak? Does the extra time help tenderize the meat?

Brisket Virgin alert, Brisket Virgin alert...wuppp-wuppp-wuppp. Just yank'n your chain Big_Foot. Brisket is a very tough cut of beef that needs to be cooked longer and to a higher temp then steak to break down in internal fats. When done correctly its simply amazing.

Chris

Brisket Virgin alert, Brisket Virgin alert...wuppp-wuppp-wuppp. Just yank'n your chain Big_Foot. Brisket is a very tough cut of beef that needs to be cooked longer and to a higher temp then steak to break down in internal fats. When done correctly its simply amazing.

Chris

I about spit out my soda reading this haha

Im going bare to the end,sir. But when I pull it at 200-205 (depending on how the probe slides in) I'm going to wrap in foil, blankets, and stick it in a cooler for a few hours.
Should be tender and juicy. "Should" being the operative word here!

Matt, If it's truly probe tender when you pull it - then let it cool off until it reaches somewhere between 170 and 175* before you wrap and pop it in the cooler. You want to stop the cooking process.

Lol that obvious?

Big_Foot kinda. Keep an eye on this thread. When Matt posts the finished shots it should be good.

Chris

Matt, If it's truly probe tender when you pull it - then let it cool off until it reaches somewhere between 170 and 175* before you wrap and pop it in the cooler. You want to stop the cooking process.

Big_Foot kinda. Keep an eye on this thread. When Matt posts the finished shots it should be good.

Chris

GMC I did exactly that. Let it sit out for a bit,then wrapped in foil and blankets. Letting it sit for about an hour and then I'm digging in! I'm gonna let you know how it tastes later on

Cool, I betting it's gonna be good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky