16# Bird & 12# Ham in an Electric Smoke Hollow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bimmer

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Tacoma, Washington
Well friends it's been awhile since I've posted on here. In that time I've handed off my dual ECB smokers and replaced them with a deal I couldn't refuse on an electric Smoke Hollow. 

As we speak I've got Wicked Baked Beans almost done for tomorrow. That's so I could fit both my 16# turkey and 12# ham and smoke them together. I finally bought a Maverick ET-733 and it came in the mail today. Even on medium my smoker averages a little over 300 degrees. Is that going to be ok considering I have two nice sized pieces of meat in an averaged-size smoker?

What about internal temps? Since I can now accurately monitor my temps what am I looking for? I'm figuring 6 hours for both meats to finish. Does that sound about right? 

The ham is prepped with a Maple Bourbon slather and the turkey is in a brine of water, dark brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning and Celery Seed.

Anything I should know about the ET-733?

Thanks in advance and a most Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families!

Your looking for an IT of 165 in the deepest part of the breast & 145 in the center of the ham.

So you should pull them out of the smoker at 155-160 for the turkey & 138-140 for the ham.

Let them both rest for 1/2 hour on the counter & the carryover cooking will bring them up to 165 & 145.

Good luck!

Al

This is not going as planned. It's been two hours and my smoker has barely reached 200. I reintroduced fresh chips about 30 minutes ago. Is this normal based on having 2 large cut of meat in the smoker? At this rate we won't be eating dinner before 9pm.

This is not going as planned. It's been two hours and my smoker has barely reached 200. I reintroduced fresh chips about 30 minutes ago. Is this normal based on having 2 large cut of meat in the smoker? At this rate we won't be eating dinner before 9pm.
crank it up. That much cold mass in there takes time to heat up. The process will speed up once everything equalizes. Hopefully you are not soaking your chips as that doesn't help either. Do you have a water pan in there? If so you might take it out. If you start with cold water and all that cold meat you can expect it to take a while to heat up. I don't know how hot your smoker goes but that turkey can take 300 degrees. Now the ham is another story of your glaze has sugar in it. If it comes down to cranking it up I would put the ham in the oven at some point so it doesn't burn on the outside. hope this helps and take some pictures. they help us to see what is going on.

Last edited:
No, I don't soak my chips at all. There is a small pan of water that holds a cup to a cup and a half. I've got the electric element cranked up to high. The ham does have a light glaze on it. I did exactly the same thing last year is the exact same size smoker but it was charcoal, not electric. Worked awesome on the beans last night. I just checked the smoker and it's putting out good smoke. Not too much. Not too little. The temp inside the smoker was just under 200....

Pics coming....Thanks Timber!

I would just think then that your 30 pounds of meat in there is a little much for the element wattage. I think I have seen where some guys have put higher wattage ones in those smokers. I would just stick it out but you could finish in the oven if the family freaks out. Been there done that. You will still get some smoke anyway.

I have no problem finishing them off in the oven. I just don't want to be in the danger zone temp wise. It's been 2 1/2 hours now. I planned for it to take 6-7 hours.

Well now my bird is at 171. I'm thinking that although it doesn't have that deep tan color and is still pale, that I should take it out and maybe brown it in the oven. Otherwise it may become dry.

The ham is at 124 to it's a ways to go yet. Your thoughts on the bird?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky