“KISS” my Catfish (Bear Style)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
“KISS” my Catfish (Bear Style)

OK here’s my favorite way to do Catfish “KISS” (Keep It Simple Soldier).

I like Catfish Breaded, and eventually I’ll Smoke a few, but once again I decided on KISS.

I much prefer Smaller Wild-caught Catfish, but these larger ones were pretty good too. I actually prefer the size that I can get 4 or 5 Catties in the Pan at once.

When my Dad was still around, we used to go to the Delaware River & fish all night, and sometimes bring our limits home (50 Each). They all ran between 10" and 12" long. Then we'd have a Family Fish Fry, and my Mom would just keep frying, until everybody had their fill. I was good for about 5, my brother 3 or 4, and even my younger Sister would take care of 3 of them.

A Catfish is the easiest fish to clean & eat, and the only fish that we never filleted. All you have to do is Skin it, gut it, cut the head off, rinse it off, and Fry it. Then you just grab the head end of the backbone, and scrape all the meat from one side off the bone, with a fork. Then flip it over and do the same thing on the other side. Now you have a pile of Meat without a single bone, and in your hand is the complete skeletal system of the Catfish, all in one piece, including the Rib cavity. You can’t do that with any other Fish!!

So all I do is melt a bunch of butter in a Pan, and Drop a Fillet (or Fillets) in the butter.
Then after the first flip I give it a couple good shakes of “Old Bay” seasoning.
I like to get it pretty well browned, because that little bit of soft bark adds to the overall flavor.
You will see 2 completely different Catfish Fillets, so don’t get the idea that it’s the same one. (Second one was slightly bigger on the second night)

I did the same thing two nights in a row, but after adding some Tartar sauce on my plate with the first one, I didn’t feel it was needed on the second one. The Awesome flavor of the Fried Catfish was too good to spoil with any Tartar sauce!
I do however make sure I get some extra Browned Butter on the plate, from the Pan, when I serve it to myself
I didn’t add any Veggies this time, but I did have a few slices of Italian Bread with Butter, not shown in Pics.

Enjoy,

Bear

One Nice Catfish Fillet:
IMG_2416.jpg

Swimming in Butter:
IMG_2419.jpg

Getting close to done:
IMG_2420.jpg

Plated with extra Butter & some Tartar Sauce:
IMG_2421.jpg

Second Night's Supper

Another of the same, only slightly larger:
IMG_2424.jpg

Browning nicely:
IMG_2425.jpg

Now we're getting there:
IMG_2427.jpg

Perfect !!
IMG_2428.jpg

Plated with extra Butter. Tartar Sauce Not Needed:
IMG_2429.jpg

Nice looking fish, Bear. I am a crappie and walleye guy, but you make catfish look pretty darn good. Be awesome with some fried morels!!! A regular artery clogging delight, for sure.

That looks very tasty Bear, nice fish dish.
We fish pretty frequently and love our fish too.

I prefer my fish gutted, scaled and otherwise whole, but sometimes steak and fillet. Just like with animals, bones in fish are flavor and moisture, making for a better deal. That and all the meat on the heads of some fish, yum!
Plenty of saltwater fish where you can do as described, flounder, pompano, Spades and more.

Mmmm Looks tasty Catfish down here is like corn bread pretty much a staple

I "Like" it

Gary

Very nice John, believe it or not a week ago is the very first time I went fishing exclusively for catfish. I have caught a rogue one here and there but never kept one much less ate one. Anyway caught a nice bunch and I did fillet mine but I was impressed by the taste of them. And then strange I see this post from you today. Will be sure to go out for some more!

Ah yell another great meal by the Bear. Goes good with corn bread, greens, stewed tomatoes and fried taters too. That's the way we do a fish fry.

Warren

Bear I love fried fish,had some Catfish down in Alabama that was good. Caught a bunch up in Lake Ontario that tasted like mud never tried them again.
Richie

Nice cook on the fish .

Thank You Rich!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice looking fish, Bear. I am a crappie and walleye guy, but you make catfish look pretty darn good. Be awesome with some fried morels!!! A regular artery clogging delight, for sure.

Thank You Jeff!!
I love most Freshwater Fish, especially Crappie & Walleye, but Catfish has been my #1 favorite Eating Fish since way before eating them was socially accepted above the Mason-Dixon Line. Now they have Catfish in Restaurants in the North, and it is Expensive!!

Bear

Hey now, I'm from the North Bear, depends where you go for the Catfish. A place near me does cornmeat dusted catfish on Fridays..13 USD all you can eat. That is to me, pretty darn cheap for All you can eat fish!

I almost got Catfish fillets today; but all I saw from the fish place I went was the breaded kind and they were shortstaffed trying to handle a ton of custom orders. <They smoke fish commercially and for private customers. Pulling up to the place smelt like heaven>. So I didn't end up asking if they had non breaded on hand. So instead we got about 4 pounds of smoked Salmon...

That is some good looking catfish my friend!
We eat a lot of fish, mostly tilapia & salmon, but your catfish looks delicious!
We just did some tilapia in the AirFryer, and boy am I glad you got me to buy one of those things!
Al

That looks very tasty Bear, nice fish dish.
We fish pretty frequently and love our fish too.

I prefer my fish gutted, scaled and otherwise whole, but sometimes steak and fillet. Just like with animals, bones in fish are flavor and moisture, making for a better deal. That and all the meat on the heads of some fish, yum!
Plenty of saltwater fish where you can do as described, flounder, pompano, Spades and more.

Thanks John!
No Scales on a Catfish---Just a Rubber Wetsuit.
Never heard of a Pompano or a Spade, but we Fillet the Flounders my Son catches.
Catfish is still the only fish I ever ate or saw that you can cook the whole fish, and then pull the whole skeletal system out in one piece, with ALL bones intact, and NO Bone-Picking.

Bear

I will have to try this! All we have ever done is salt, roll in cornmeal and deep fry to done.

This looks very yummy!!

Thanks Raven!!
I love them that way too, but I get lazy & can't resist the buttery flavor of this method.

Bear

Mmmm Looks tasty Catfish down here is like corn bread pretty much a staple

I "Like" it

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
LOL---I can still remember the looks I got from others around my Area, when I said we had Catfish for Dinner.
Nowadays if a restaurant has it, it's expensive!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Yeah, I hear ya John about the Cat's rubber wetsuit, skinning cats is the hardest part of cleaning them.

We've countless catfish farms down here that supply the commercial demand.
We also have some great 'Pay to Play' catfish ponds where you can catch'em yourself.
I take my kids and they love it, it's not fishing, it's catching!
And the fish in these ponds are allowed to grow, average fish is 2-3lbs, which is industry standard for harvest, but there are fish ranging from 10lbs, 20lbs, 30lbs and even over 40lbs.
We bring home a lot of fish when we go.

HJelkFr.jpg

Very nice John, believe it or not a week ago is the very first time I went fishing exclusively for catfish. I have caught a rogue one here and there but never kept one much less ate one. Anyway caught a nice bunch and I did fillet mine but I was impressed by the taste of them. And then strange I see this post from you today. Will be sure to go out for some more!

Thanks Erain!!
Good to see ya!
Yup---We all love them here, but we prefer the size to be between about 10" and 16", and best when caught during Spring or EARLY Summer.
You'll never guess my second favorite eating fish------American Eel.

Bear

Hell yell I'm with you on the American Eel' Dad use to cut them in about 3" pieces then cut through to the back bone in 2 places on each side and you had 3 nice bites on each side. Wow that brings back some memories of some good eating haven't had that in awhile.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky