What should I do? First time smoking and no probe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stopsign32v

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
So I made a thread about I just got a thin COS. I ordered a Inkbird IRF-4S but it will not be here until May! I have to cook a Butt and Brisket in 3 days! The smoker has a thermometer on the lid of the grill but that will be all I have to use.

What should I do now???? Only other option I could think is go buy a cheap digital thermometer from a local store to go up under the lid but then that will ultimately be a waste of money. Options and opinions wanted.

Reactions: JLeonard
The butt would be easy enough to tell, bone (providing bone in) would wiggle loose easily, and butts don't care what temp ya use as long as not too low. Brisket would be a little tougher to tell. Brisket makers probably have a few tricks.
If you were close, I'd borrow ya one.

Reactions: TNJAKE
you really don't have many options, get the cheap one, or get an instant read. and wait till the estimated done time to check. so you don't lose all the heat and smoke during the cook.

Reactions: JLeonard
Get a over thermometer to sit on the grate so you know your cooking at the proper temp then as others have said when you pull on the bone it will slide out when ready.

Not an Amazon member? Most Inkbird products arrive for me in 1-2 days and I'm in a small rural town in Ohio. Maybe you are in a area that's slower or not served by them?

Grab an instant read therm such as a ThermoPro. Several versions, mine was about $22. Very handy for steaks and chicken. Will work as a probe for tenderness and also tell you the temp.

Grab an instant read therm such as a ThermoPro. Several versions, mine was about $22. Very handy for steaks and chicken. Will work as a probe for tenderness and also tell you the temp.

Well I have an instant read thermometer that I can check the meat with. I was more concerned about keeping the internal temp of the smoker at a correct level.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky