First time jerky questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All good stuff. Gotta pass the SMF love on and tell you to try Owens jerky mixes. OMG, pro level better than store results. I slice with grain to keep it chewy or I'll eat it all. LOL.

@2.99lb if it even turns out half edible I will buy a bunch more and experiment!

I am sure somewhere here is my answer but I am going to present my plans anyway...lol

I Have some eye round I got fairly cheap, plan is to slice to 1/4". I have LEM backwoods jalapeno jerky seasonings to try. Weigh this out to what ever weight meat I want to use and sit over night.

I have 2 ways I can go to finish off:

1) smoke on the MB 800, I have read it can go as low as 180 deg but have not verified this yet. Is there a time frame for this or is it just get to the "feel" I want?

or

2) I have an old Ronco dehydrator as below, There are no temp settings, no fan, just rotate the racks. If going this route should I "dry" fire this up with some probes to get a feel for what temp it will run at?
View attachment 693731

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Usually for jerky, and I use the same cut of meat, I use my dehydrator for consistency and I use my own spice mixture. On the other hand, I did get the jerky kit for my Camp Chef Windwood pellet grill and found that it works well on Low Smoke, about 160 degrees. to add a smoky finish. You just have to watch it as the temps will fluctuate in a pellet grill. They work on average temp over the cook time. Good luck.

I make mine on my recteq at 180. I flip the pieces on the racks and rotate the racks top to bottom after 1 hour. Check again in 1 hour. Some pieces are done at that time, so I pull those and put in a 3/4 closed zip lock bag. Check the other pieces in 30 minutes and pull the ones that are finished.
The next day the smoke flavor really kicks in:)
I cut it about 1/4” and do as above at 180 for an hour or so, then turn it up a little…it’s pretty subjective on that depending on how it’s drying. I will keep drying as it cools, so keep that in mind. Thicker is easier to keep moist, super thin I tend to over dry and it’s almost crispy...not bad, I just prefer it be a little chewy.

Ive used those mixes you mentioned. They are good. But I love discos OFG Jerky

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky