You poor blokes from the UK!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawinredneck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Wichita KS
I've been reading many of the UK posts for a while now. But it really didn't hit home with me until my wife had to entertain guests from England. My wife works for Koch Industries (those evil brother's as Democrats call them) Anyway, Koch bought Invista years ago and my wife was charged with dealing with VAT. I won't go there, but she went to London a LOT, way too much IMO!
Anyway, they sent a group to the states for a little over a week. They wanted to see what all this "BBQ" rage was all about! Despite my best efforts, we were unable to get them all to the house to show how it's done and eat something fresh off the smoker. But she did get them to a couple of the local haunts, laugh, but we do have some decent BBQ in Wichita KS! My wife said they were amazed at the flavor!
Maybe you guys need to send Gordon Ramsey to come over here and go back preaching? I know Gordon bought a Renault Robin to put in his back yard to smoke Salmon, so I'd like to think all is not lost?
Regardless, I'm sorry you have missed out on this for so long, I wish you all the best in your quest to learn, and I hope someone, like Ramsey, will jump on board and invigerat your movement!
I'm sincerely sorry I was so ignorant to this, I've had the opportunity to expose many people to this style of cooking, but assumed it was world wide. Boy was I wrong! I'm sorry!

Hiya Sawin Redneck,  There is no need to be sorry, it's just life, or lack of it.

I don't want to bore you but to give you a bit of history about BBQ in the UK.  If you mention BBQ or Smoking food to 99 out of a 100 people in the UK (population 65 million) they will mention cremated burgers, raw under-cooked chicken and sausages that are inedible, that's it, they have never heard of pulled pork or ribs, and are not aware that you can cook on a BBQ/Smoker for 5, 8, or 15 hours.  it is a totally alien concept to them. 

It is only the past couple of years that things are starting to change.  We now have the odd BBQ restaurants, pop up restaurants, and even the main supermarkets are selling pulled pork brisket & ribs (not good but better than nothing)  I spoke to a man last week and he is importing container loads of BBQ Sauce & Rubs into the UK, so basically we are undergoing a food revolution in the UK, that has not been seen in this country since the microwave oven was invented !  The effect it is having is that dramatic.

I cook outside a couple of times a week and get "the mad man is at it again" kinda look from the neighbours which is kinda funny.  They just don't get it, especially when I am cooking pizza's. so you offer them a slice and it is "no you are OK, we have just eaten" in a broad northern accent.

I started a Smoking Wood & Grilling Plank business about 18 months ago and it has been an uphill struggle, but we are getting there slooowly.  People in the UK certainly do not understand grilling planks, and the look on their faces is a picture when you explain how to use them.  Even the odd BBQ convert look at you blankly, but once they have tried the Salmon or the chicken, they are converted to plank cooking.

Anyway I will sign off, Take Care & keep Smoking.

James

Hi as James has said,it is an up hill struggle at the moment. British BBQ is a Sausage and burnt Burger and Raw Chicken 1/4.
We are on an educational trip at the moment, spreading the word on true BBQ.

I am glad you have been able to show some of our islanders true BBQ.

Steve

Yeah, I've read a lot of your (UK members) posts and got the jist of it for sure! I wish I'd have made more of an effort to get my wife to bring them home. I could have at least smoked some chicken, cooked a few steaks and shown how a burger can come off unburnt!
I promise to all of you that if this comes up again I will do all I can to show them a better way!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky