What material to use for top (roof) of brick firebox?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nestorint

Original poster
Jan 3, 2024
Hello dear members.
As I am in the process of building brick smoker I am not 100% sure what material to use for top (roof) of brick firebox?
I thought if to put sheet of steel (about 4-5 mm thick) and than bricks on the top. But bricks and steel expanding and contracting at different level under heat.
So with time it may not only build cracks on bricks on the top but also could start break the walls of firebox.
What do you use ? Thank you
IMG_20240124_135112.jpg

Last edited:
If the "roof" is an access point to either chamber, I'd go with a hinged steel plate of at least 1/4" thick - reinforced as smokerjim smokerjim mentioned. If these roofs do not provide access, you could make them out of the same bricks you're building the side with, or poured concrete as HalfSmoked HalfSmoked mentioned.

Your progress looks great!

Red

If the "roof" is an access point to either chamber, I'd go with a hinged steel plate of at least 1/4" thick - reinforced as smokerjim smokerjim mentioned. If these roofs do not provide access, you could make them out of the same bricks you're building the side with, or poured concrete as HalfSmoked HalfSmoked mentioned.

Your progress looks great!

Red
Thank you for compliment. But I thought the top of the firebox is where highest temperature would be and concrete would crack. If it's recommended to use firebricks at the bottom and side of the firebox to prevent fire touching regular bricks at the sidewalls of firebox but just concrete at the top...

Thank you for compliment. But I thought the top of the firebox is where highest temperature would be and concrete would crack. If it's recommended to use firebricks at the bottom and side of the firebox to prevent fire touching regular bricks at the sidewalls of firebox but just concrete at the top...

I suspect you are correct, if you use regular concrete. I'm certainly no masonry expert, but they do make a high-heat cement mix. A quick google search produced this result:

You mentioned firebricks - is it possible to construct your roof out of firebricks? Just something else to ponder.

And if you're concerned about the effects of heat on stone or cement products, I'd definitely go with a steel plate - perhaps even an insulated plate: double walled with and air gap or insulation in the middle.

Red

Reactions: nestorint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky