Vortex Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Injected with TC Butter. Ended up sitting an extra day before got to them. Into the Kettle. Turned lid at 20 minutes than another 20. Temped in the 190's which is where I like them. Gave David's potato puffs a try. Kind of messed them up. I halved the potatoes and made whole filling. Put 3 instead of 2 eggs in by mistake than ended up using all the filling. Still edible but texture not right. Skin nice and crispy and they where very juicy. I stopped putting sauce on them as I like the skin crispy. Made a pumpkin dump cake. Man was that stuff good. Forgot to get a plated shot.

IMG_20221023_144823056_HDR.jpg IMG_20221023_170447786_HDR.jpg IMG_20221023_170452772_HDR.jpg IMG_20221023_171842945.jpg
IMG_20221023_172941348.jpg
IMG_20221023_131659031.jpg IMG_20221023_131708528.jpg

Looks great! I learn new tricks all the time. I’m guessing the block over the coal bed adds smoke flavor? Guessing it pre-heats before the food goes on? Very nice.

Yummy-looking, all of it, and I'm hoping someone asks about that decadent looking pumpkin dump cake. Something like that ought to have maybe 25-30 calories in it, right?

Nice looking cook 'n cake Brian, good job! When I'm Vortexing 4-5 legs or thighs I just stack them together and don't bother turning the lid, lazy but it works. RAY

Nice job on those thighs Brian. It's hard to beat the Kettle/Vortex combo for chickens.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! I learn new tricks all the time. I’m guessing the block over the coal bed adds smoke flavor? Guessing it pre-heats before the food goes on? Very nice.
Correct

Injected with TC Butter. Ended up sitting an extra day before got to them. Into the Kettle. Turned lid at 20 minutes than another 20. Temped in the 190's which is where I like them. Gave David's potato puffs a try. Kind of messed them up. I halved the potatoes and made whole filling. Put 3 instead of 2 eggs in by mistake than ended up using all the filling. Still edible but texture not right. Skin nice and crispy and they where very juicy. I stopped putting sauce on them as I like the skin crispy. Made a pumpkin dump cake. Man was that stuff good. Forgot to get a plated shot.

View attachment 646753View attachment 646752View attachment 646751View attachment 646750
View attachment 646749
View attachment 646755View attachment 646754
Nice meal all around Brian, can't beat the kettle-vortex combo for chicken parts.

Great looking meal

Everything looks good!

great looking food!! thanks for sharing!

Yes sir, Brian!!

Looks great from my seat !

Nice job Brian! Looks delicious!

Ryan
Thanks
Thanks. It a chuck of pecan wood. I put it in right after pouring coals than preheat grate for 5 minutes.
That looks really good! 👍👍
Thanks
Those thighs look competition perfect! Great color and that skin looks really crispy. The sides look fantastic, too. Nice work.
Thanks. Not sure about competition. I leave that flap of skin on because I like to eat it.
Looks delicious!
Thanks
Yummy-looking, all of it, and I'm hoping someone asks about that decadent looking pumpkin dump cake. Something like that ought to have maybe 25-30 calories in it, right?
Right. It was like a pie meets cake and was so good. Here is the recipe. I used mixer to mix cake and butter together than sat in a side while making the rest.

Nice looking cook 'n cake Brian, good job! When I'm Vortexing 4-5 legs or thighs I just stack them together and don't bother turning the lid, lazy but it works. RAY
Thanks Ray
Nice job on those thighs Brian. It's hard to beat the Kettle/Vortex combo for chickens.

Point for sure
Chris

Correct

Most excellent!
Jim
Thanks
Great looking meal. Dark meat fan here.

The potato puffs look interesting. Can you share the recipe link?
Thanks. Got it from DRKsmoking DRKsmoking
Nice job! Love the vortex wings!

Nice meal all around Brian, can't beat the kettle-vortex combo for chicken parts.
Thanks

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Right. It was like a pie meets cake and was so good. Here is the recipe. I used mixer to mix cake and butter together than sat in a side while making the rest.

Thank you for the link and the mixer suggestion on the cake mix and butter, too. I think the Kitchenaid may have a new project come Thanksgiving.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky