Thin Hot BBQ SANDWICH Sauce Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will_Crump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
I live in West Tennessee. Any of you who live in this area have at some point ate a BBQ sandwich sold by these little roadside BBQ shacks. I'm not talking about chain restaurants like Corky's, etc. I'm talking about these little "hole-in-the-wall" dives that are small and humble, but have the most amazing meat and sandwich sauce.

For years I have been trying to find a recipe that makes this thin, hot flavorful sauce for my own home use, but all I can ever find are recipes for sauces that are meant to be used for cooking ribs, chicken, etc.

I want to find a recipe for that thin delicious barbecue sauce signature to these little roadside BBQ shacks. Any ideas?

Reactions: SonnyE
Thanks, Sonny!! :-)
I am so glad I found this place and people who are willing to help. I guess it's understandable, but competition pit masters only sell their recipes and knowledge while restaurant owner's clam up as if guarding an ancient Chinese secret.

1/2 gallon apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
2 cups ketchup preferably made with no high fructose
1/2 cup worcestershire
4 tablespoons crushed red flakes
3 teaspoons chili powder
table spoon cumin
2 teaspoon onion
2 teaspoon garlic
couple extra shakes of hotsauce to taste

mix all up, bring to a simmer and you're good to go. The vinegar keeps it safe to store at room temp for weeks, you'll go through it quicker than you think. Used it on my pulled pork for the boys on Monday...worked well.

Thanks, Sonny!! :)
I am so glad I found this place and people who are willing to help. I guess it's understandable, but competition pit masters only sell their recipes and knowledge while restaurant owner's clam up as if guarding an ancient Chinese secret.

Yep. But as you can see, most here are happy to share. :D
OK, I'm gonna run out and get me some Butt, and some Apple pellets. :)

Thanks, flatbroke!! Good to be here.
I finally found a think tank for connoisseurs of fine barbecue!!

Did my thread give you a hankerin' for some BBQ?;)

Oh, I'm easy. Especially when I have time on my hands.
Now I have a chunk of pork loin thawed out for jerky, and a chunka Boston Butt in the fridge.
Now things will get busy as a cat coverin scat on a tin roof. o_O

Oh, I'm easy. Especially when I have time on my hands.
Now I have a chunk of pork loin thawed out for jerky, and a chunka Boston Butt in the fridge.
Now things will get busy as a cat coverin scat on a tin roof. o_O
Wait till you start adding in curing back bacon and hams... ..

Hi Will, and welcome to the site. Are you looking for a yellow or red sauce. I'm not sure which they serve down in Tenn.

Chris

Good morning, Chris! I am looking for a thin red sauce that is so common in my area. I am an hour east of Memphis and I'm trying to find a recipe for the thin, hot delicious barbecue sauces that barbecue cooks at these little roadside barbecue shacks put on their sandwiches.

If you've ever been in West Tennessee or the mid-south and stopped off at one of these little "hole-in-the-wall" establishments, they are far from fancy, but boy!! They sure make some good barbecue and the hot barbecue sauce they put on their sandwiches is to die for.

Here's one from the Carolina's. I'm not sure if it's close to what your looking for, but the wife and I enjoy it. It's a good base and you can tweak it to your liking - like adding more cayenne.

1.5 cups cider vinegar.
.5 cup of katchup
1.5 tbsp brown suger
.5 tsp of cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder
.5 tsp of kosher salt.
Heat on low until all ingredients are combined well.

Chris

Reactions: DD Alberta
Welcome and now you see how awesome this sight is. Look under the forum heading scroll down and find all kinds of info list in groups of what they pertain to such as beef or pork .

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky