Sous Vide Beef Steaks suck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can relate I think. Whenever I'm at a steak place, I never order the prime rib over a rib eye or even a sirloin. I'm just a fan of the texture of the prime rib. Or I should say I'm a fan of the grilled steak a lot better.

I will even go as far as I've tried time and time again to cook a steak in a cast iron pan and I even like that less than putting one on a grill.

Plus when I get Al's SM webber attachment, I probably will never cook a steak inside the house again.

I will even go as far as I've tried time and time again to cook a steak in a cast iron pan and I even like that less than putting one on a grill.

Plus when I get Al's SM webber attachment, I probably will never cook a steak inside the house again.

You're probably not getting hot enough. No way I'd ever attempt to do inside the house as it would set off the smoke alarms and stink up the house for a week. Flare ups are common for me. First time I tried I was convinced I ruined dinner... I let them rest and then at dinner my wife and I were like HOLY S***!

Reactions: banderson7474
You're probably not getting hot enough. No way I'd ever attempt to do inside the house as it would set off the smoke alarms and stink up the house for a week. Flare ups are common for me. First time I tried I was convinced I ruined dinner... I let them rest and then at dinner my wife and I were like HOLY S***!

You are probably right but I find that it's a little greasy for my taste. Maybe I'm not using the right oil or I need to add butter to it. See when I do reverse sear, it's usually in the oven first and then I sear it in a cast iron pan on the stove top.

That portable induction cooktop I posted about in another thread comes in really handy for doing reverse sears. Why? Well, I take the thing out to my cold BBQ and put it on a cookie sheet (to protect if from the grate gunk) and then put the CI skillet on that. I crank 'er up and let it smoke and spatter all it wants. No cleanup, no smoke in the house, and I get the "real deal" sear.

Reactions: indaswamp
Jax,
The only difference between your technique and mine is that I wait and season after the steak comes out of the Sous Vide. I dry it, then season, and then sear. I don’t use a torch and like you, I use a very hot charcoal/wood fire. I think this way, you will get the seasoned flavor you are expecting from your steak.
Dave

That could be something to try.

Jaxrmrjmr I think I may know what part of your issue is with Sous Vide steaks. If you cook a steak SV style which has a good bit of fat content it does not render out in the lower SV temps and it also does not crisp up that fat at all. The short time searing does not usually do justice to crisping up either. If you are one that likes to eat some of that fat you will be disappointed with Sous Vide.

Best use of Sous Vide to me is on a tougher piece of meat which it can really improve the outcome on.

Weedeater

I think this post nails it. Thanks. And thanks to all of the replies. I won't be using SV for my good steaks any longer, but I have found other uses that like a precise temperature control - like precooking my fresh sausage.

I was utterly against it, but I've cooked some steaks sous vide and either seared them with cast iron or on a charcoal grill and they turn out great. I don't think there's much difference in flavor between that and a reverse sear, but the meat is more tender and you get perfect results every time. A reverse sear is better if you want to get smoke on the steaks. Sous vide is a great way to reheat barbecue as well.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I don't think it is a fad. The results are excellent.

Have you given it a try?
images (3).jpeg

Great to see some of these old posts, reminds me of people I miss. Sous vide for steak is OK, but not what I'd call great, sear with either a torch or CI skillet. The best use of the sous vide comes when heating up leftovers without having to overcook. RAY

Other than reheating bbq for a crowd my favorite use for it is boneless, skinless chicken breast. 145 for 2 hours then dry with paper towels and let it rest for a few minutes. Then into a ripping hot cast iron pan or grill for a quick sear. Perfect every time and easy! If pulling the chicken straight out of the deep freeze and into the sous vide I'll add 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I just salt and pepper. Then sear with a torch. kinda like em.

Other than reheating bbq for a crowd my favorite use for it is boneless, skinless chicken breast. 145 for 2 hours then dry with paper towels and let it rest for a few minutes. Then into a ripping hot cast iron pan or grill for a quick sear. Perfect every time and easy! If pulling the chicken straight out of the deep freeze and into the sous vide I'll add 30 minutes.

I like this idea. Unless pounded flat, a chicken breast has thick and thin parts. I'm guessing this gets all of it done evenly ?

And we use sous vide a lot around here for reheating. We vac seal a lot of what I cook cuz there's only two of us. Best way to reheat.

I love it for all things . I have 2 Anovas .
Makes great medium rare beef roasts . Eats like prime rib .
20210912_180115.jpg
20210912_180736.jpg
Sliders for lunch with the leftovers .
20210920_124435.jpg
Makes great pot roast too .

20181020_135857.jpg
Super tender .
20181125_174528.jpg

• Love
Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky