Sourdough Open Bake Crusty Rolls.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Got a simple mix together.

Dont look purdy right now.
IMG_7874.JPG

Looking better.
IMG_7876.jpg

3 hours later. Lets form and bake.
IMG_7877.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

IMG_7880.JPG

Open bake on cookie sheet. Hot water in bottom pan for steam to make a crusty crust.
IMG_7881.JPG

Now look good.
IMG_7882.jpg

IMG_7883.JPG

IMG_7884.JPG

Looks good
I made discard buns yesterday for our early St Patty's Day party last night.
Got a simple mix together.
Flour, water, salt, & sugar simple?
I "enriched" my dough with an egg and butter.

Supposed to be for Sundays dinner but my wife wanted one.
The whole point of baking bread is for the fresh from the oven indulgence?

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Those look great! So you made a standard SD, then after the final rise you made it into rolls? Did you bake at 425 Or? I might have to try these!! I generally have only made boule, pizza crust and loafs. tried several add ins on the boule and loafs. Many thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great What's the dough recipe.

Warren
335 g warm water 85°F
100 g active sourdough starter
35 g whole wheat flour
400 g unbleached all purpose flour
11 g kosher salt Morton's brand

To a large mixing bowl, add the warm water, and active sourdough starter. Use a whisk or Danish dough whisk to combine, and dissolve the starter.

Add the whole wheat flour, unbleached all purpose flour, and kosher salt to the bowl. Use a Danish dough whisk or a wooden spoon to mix the dough. It will be a bit sticky and shaggy. Normal.

Then use your clean hands to finish mixing the dough. Use a pinching motion to incorporate all of the flour and salt, making sure that there are no dry spots.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap, or a clean shower cap. Let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Instead of kneading this dough, we're going to do a series of stretches and folds. This is a gentle way to build up the gluten strength without tearing the dough. Keep the dough in the bowl, and start by stretching/pulling up one side of the dough gently until it won't give any more. Then fold the stretched dough over the rest of the dough. Rotate the bowl 90°, and stretch up another side of the dough, then fold it over. Work your way all around the bowl. Then reach under the ball of dough, and plop the whole thing over. Cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for another 15 minutes at room temperature.

Repeat the stretch and fold process one more time. Then cover the bowl again, and let it rise at room temperature for about 2-3 hours until it has nearly doubled in size, and is puffy. This depends a lot on the temperature of your kitchen. A warm kitchen will make the dough rise faster. A cold kitchen will delay the rise.

Lightly flour your work surface. Pour the dough out onto the work surface. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Use a kitchen scale to make sure they're equal. Each dough ball should weigh about 80-82g.

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a heavy skillet or pan with water and let heat.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Boil a kettle of water. Set aside.

Work with one piece of dough at a time. Lightly flour your hands. Bring all of the edges of the dough into the center, pinch to seal. Place the dough, seam side down onto the work surface. Make your hands into a claw/cage shape, and gently roll the dough under your hand on the work surface, to create tension, and a more round shaped roll.

Place the shaped rolls on the parchment lined baking sheet, about 1.5 inches between each rolls. Lightly sprinkle the tops of the rolls with flour. Lay a clean kitchen towel over the top of the rolls, and proof (rise) at room temperature for another 45 minutes.

Slash the top of the rolls with a lame or very sharp chef's knife. The slash should be about 1.5-inches long. Try to hold the blade at a 45° angle, and cut about 1/2-inch deep.

Place the rolls into the steaming hot oven immediately after slashing. Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully open the oven door because of the hot steam, and rotate the baking sheet 180°, bake for another 10-15 minutes until the rolls are very golden brown. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm, or crisp up before serving.

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky