Smoker Shut off overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mjjkb14

Original poster
Jun 16, 2024
I started a Boston butt last night at 7:30 pm at 225 temp. Checked at 9:30 and it was still going. This morning at 8:30 am I discovered the smoker had turned off at some point overnight. The meat probe said the internal meat temp was 78. Currently it’s cooking and internal is 150. Safe to continue or throw out? Newbie here.

• Wow
Reactions: 912smoker
I am not a food safety expert, but there are several who can comment. I might suggest cooking butts at 275 to avoid the overnight cooks. Since i switched to 275, I have not done a single overnight cook, nor needed to. Safer, faster and easier.

Reactions: BigW.
And welcome to SMF. Stick around, lots of good people here to help up your game.

I started a Boston butt last night at 7:30 pm at 225 temp. Checked at 9:30 and it was still going. This morning at 8:30 am I discovered the smoker had turned off at some point overnight. The meat probe said the internal meat temp was 78. Currently it’s cooking and internal is 150. Safe to continue or throw out? Newbie here.
That would be very dangerous to eat. That sat in the 40F to 140F range for (possibly) 11 hours.

Reactions: 912smoker
I personally would toss it and not take a chance. Food poison is no fun and especially if serving others.
You didn't say what kind of smoker but maybe hamburgers or ribs for supper?

Also please make a minimal investment in a dual probe thermo with hi/low alarm settings. This will save you from future dilemmas and save you in the long run.

Keith

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Even with an intact butt (not injected or deboned), I would toss it.
The internal should have been much higher to assure the exterior of the butt got to a solid 140° of pasteurization.

I second the stepping up and get a multi probe unit with an alarm and remote monitor.

Cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky