Sauerkraut you talked me into it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't think you need to purchase a special air lock. When I was a kid I tried to make hard cider, and simply drilled a small hole in the top of a canning lid. I then forced some aquarium air hose into the hole, and then stuck the end of that hose into a jar of water. This keeps any air from going back up into the fermenting jar, but allows the fermentation gases to escape.

I then put my cider and yeast into the jar, screwed on the cover, and watch the thing bubble over the next week.

You can use any other flexible hose you might have lying around.

Looks like a good start! I bought a five quart crock with a water seal and ceramic weights. Every week I just add a bit of water and the seal keeps oxygen out. I’ve never had a mold problem.

My current batch is six weeks old and it’s the best I’ve done. It’s taken on a buttery quality in the flavor. I’ll be canning at eight weeks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky