Pulling Silver Skin from ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's what I heard, but i've never tried them for myself.   I think the next time I do a few slabs i'm going to leave one on and take on off and see if I can tell the difference.  I honestly don't know anyone who leaves it on.

Same here, knife and paper towel it pills right off, I have notice that wen I let the ribs sit and get @ room temp the membrane pills off easier, So the hot water trick sound intresting i will try it out this weekend.

I remove mine because I don't like to deal with it after it is cooked. Some say it does block some of the smoke penetration for the back side. No clue, never tested it.

As far as the temp from running under hot water. You will only be doing it for a few seconds. Just make sure you chill them back to under 40 as quick as you can. I would say in less than 2hrs you would be good. That is our requirements per HACCP with marking meats for banquets.

I leave it on.  I did take it off a few times in the past but doesn't seem to be worth the trouble..  When they are finished cooking you can just pull it off if you don't like it.  That is my reply to anyone that has a complaint. Well, I have had other replies but I think I may be getting "nicer" with age.

Paper towels is the easiest way I know. I spend about 30 per rack. Once in a while I run into a particularly challenging rack, but that is rare. If I am going to spend 5 hours cooking them, I might as well spend the 30 seconds it takes to make the best product I can.

I believe that Famous Daves puts their ribs on the grill to crisp up the silver skin.  That is one way of taking care of it.  I still prefer to remove it.

S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky